New electric locomotive (1:1) - Made in DPRK

New electric locomotive (1:1) - Made in DPRK

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:58 am

Just discovered this... a new electric locomotive made in North Korea. It's called the "Songun Red Flag" class, which keeps in line with what I know about the rest of their electric locomotive types - they're all called "Red Flag". So this one, being "Songun Pulgungi 1 ho" translates to that these'll probably be numbered in the 1000 series.

Here's a news blurb from KCNA:

Songun Pulgungi (Songun Red Flag) No. 1, an advanced AC locomotive fitted up with an asynchronous adhesion motor, has been developed in Korean way at the Kim Jong Thae Electric Locomotive Complex.

In hearty response to the Workers' Party of Korea’s policy of updating the railway transport, the workers of the complex and scientists and technicians in the sector of railway transport conducted an intensive campaign to develop a new type of locomotive by their own efforts and technology.

They concentrated their energy on making asynchronous adhesion motor, auxiliary motor and other main parts.

Thousands of sheets of paper were used for designs, excellent ideas devised and hundreds of technological innovations presented.

They finally succeeded in making a large-capacity asynchronous motor that can smoothly control the traction power and speed of locomotive and that is much better than others in electric braking function to suit the local conditions, thus making a breakthrough in manufacturing an AC locomotive.

Thanks to their persevering efforts a self-steering bogie and efficient high-speed compressor were developed, several kinds of transducers and motors and other auxiliary driving and electric devices developed and manufactured and a computer control system for the new electric locomotive was established.

The AC locomotive was successfully manufactured and the trial runnings were also successful.

Songun Pulgungi No. 1 is up to 50 per cent lower in the total traction power consumption than other electric locomotives while its output is over 2 000 kW and traction power is 1.5 times greater. The introduction of electric brake and the setup of a computer-aided local area control network provide a guarantee for the strict safety of the running of locomotives.

I managed to find a clip of a North Korean news broadcast on the subject; here are a few screencaps:

Songun Bulgeungi 1 - 1.jpg

Songun Bulgeungi 1 - 8.jpg

Songun Bulgeungi 1 - 11.jpg

Songun Bulgeungi 1 - 15.jpg

Songun Bulgeungi 1 - 22.jpg

Looks pretty 1990s, eh?

There are a few things I found interesting, including the green engine right behind the new one (it doesn't look like a type I've seen before)... but specific to the Songun Red Flag what I found very interesting are the spoked wheels!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: New electric locomotive (1:1) - Made in DPRK

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:27 am

1990's? How about 1970's. And this is gold: "Thousands of sheets of paper were used for designs". Who the F uses "sheets of paper" to design anything any more?

Sorry, didn't mean to bust your bubble :(
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:47 am

LOL, my bubble?

I had to giggle at some of the phraseage I found, too. In another official KCNA article, it said they "have invented a high-capacity asynchronous motor".

As for paper? I do. I far prefer working things out on paper over anything else... but, I guess the workers at the Kim Jong-tae Locomotive Works haven't heard this song yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFTCy4hmTk

:P

I think what they're trying to say with all that is that they developed the stuff on their own, instead of reverse-engineering it. :P

And looks-wise? I don't know about 1970s. I'd say late 80s or early 90s for sure, but either way - I think it looks kinda nifty.
Marquette

Postby Arseny » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:32 am

Looking like some Soviet locomotive redesigned in Korean style. :)
Arseny

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:49 am

I was thinking along those lines. Not quite Russian style, not quite Chinese... somewhere between the two. Interesting, though, I think!

I wonder about the reasoning for the spoked wheels. Was it just because they were already set up to make those, for the 5000- and 6000- series engines they built in the past? I can't see them seeing any technical advantage to it...
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:24 pm

@ Marquette

You use paper but you're an individual. They're an organisation building real life locos. Big difference :)
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:35 pm

That's a point, sure. :P
Marquette

Return to Prototypes / Models