Netzlof Car Discussion

Re: New Method of Printing Decals?

Postby NetzlofDesign » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:55 pm

I suppose the next question to you all is:

What would you like to see as a RTR or Decorated Kit Rollingstock Offering?

Am I headed the right direction with a coal hopper? Maybe a boxcar? Something older? Something newer?
NetzlofDesign

Postby areibel » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:28 pm

A 70 ton three bay open hopper was just announced by Zeuke TT so a little research to prevent duplication would be a good thing (If you're going to do a hopper!). Most of what's available is "transition era" but with newer locomotives becoming available there's a need for slightly more modern rolling stock.
Personally I'd love to see a 50 foot boxcar or two- the best boxcar we have available is the 40' Gold Coast/ LokNRoll one, but that's a little dated for anyone doing anything after 1970. A 50 foot box would be a big help!
areibel

Postby Bernd » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:06 pm

I'm transition area, that can be anywhere from the 30's to the 50's. Not interested much for anything after the 70's. I settle for any thing though. If hoppers are up your alley then how about the 2 bay ones. One question I do have that nobody seems to ask when rolling stock is discussed and that's trucks for the cars. I believe there is a need for proper trucks to go along with the car you are producing. Couplers don't seen like an issue at the moment.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby j p » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Maybe because a sufficient variety of trucks for transition era is already available? They do not cover everything, but many of them can be used as stand-in.

Archbar from Peresvet (it became obsolete during the transition era though)
Cast frame trucks with friction bearings
- ASF ride control trucks from Gold Coast
- 70 tons trucks from Hädl (I don't know what is the prototype, but I can post a picture, it looks like slightly longer GoldCoast truck and it has 3 springs instead of 2)
- Barber from MTB
All those are injection molded plastics

Then some older Bettendorf brass trucks from Kemtron
Archbar with leaf springs for cabooses (brass)
and various resin cast trucks from many small manufacturers, incl. trucks from Rob M.
And the trucks with functional springs - archbar and cast trucks.

Which trucks do you need Bernd?

Regarding the hoppers:
The best would be
- war emergency 2 bay hoppers - can be steel only or wood/steel
- rib side hoppers - but make them according to some prototype please, not a "general model of nothing", 2, 3, 4 bays
- if you want something very special, then horizontal ribs - but the demand may be rather limited :)

Covered hoppers - only 2 Shapeways models are available. (or old cardboard side models)
Air flow covered hopper - nothing is available (except for old cardboard side models)
Ballast hoppers - nothing is available
Ore hoppers - one type is available from Shapeways
j p

Netzlof Car Discussion

Postby CSD » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Conversation moved from "New Method of Prnting Decals".
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: Netzlof Car Discussion

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:34 am

I'll support (buy) whatever you produce as long as it's not something obscure. As for preferences, a transition era or later reefer would be nice.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:07 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I'll support (buy) whatever you produce as long as it's not something obscure. As for preferences, a transition era or later reefer would be nice.

As I've written before, I'm modeling the SoCal citrus industry, so I would buy 12-15 PFE R40-10 or -23 steel reefers in a flash. My second choice would be PFE R30-9 (or other) rebuilt wood-side reefers, I'd buy some of those even after the steel ones.

At least two other posters here have written that they would eagerly buy PFE reefers if available. Also, these are of course good candidates for "generic" reefers that could be painted, Athearn-style, in popular road names. :whistle:

So the PFE steel reefer seems like a good choice for a popular model, that should sell well.

But note that meat reefers are generally rather different from produce reefers; though I'm no expert, one thing I've noticed is, meat reefer doors are quite a bit smaller, so a PFE reefer would be a serious foobie painted as a Swift reefer!
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:16 pm

The 57 foot PFE style mechanical reefers have had a long timespan and multiple colors schemes so could be used on a lot of layouts. I'd also buy some 40 foot ice reefers or 50 mechanical reefers if those were ever made....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:06 am

@NetzlofDesign

Couple of questions:
Do you have any examples of your work that you can show us? Also, using Shapeways models is a pretty bad idea - the surface is rough, they are brittle and models often arrive warped. Perhaps you have a method to overcome these shortcomings?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:19 am

NetzlofDesign wrote:I suppose the next question to you all is:

What would you like to see as a RTR or Decorated Kit Rollingstock Offering?

Am I headed the right direction with a coal hopper? Maybe a boxcar? Something older? Something newer?

MTB/ZeukeTT announced new coal hopper...
Maybe reefer? Old wooden yellow reefer?
I want to carry oranges, not only coal... :wink:
Arseny

Next

Return to General Discussion