Netzlof Car Discussion

Re: Netzlof Car Discussion

Postby Richard-B » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:28 am

ctxmf74 wrote:The 57 foot PFE style mechanical reefers have had a long timespan and multiple colors schemes so could be used on a lot of layouts.
I agree... and not just because I'm a West Coast modeler!
The 57ft PFE reefers were painted orange or white with a number of lettering variations, and then repainted/re-lettered for the SPFE - UPFE split... including a few in lime green, and more recently rebuilt without the mechanical refrigeration into ARMN (UP) insulated box (RPL) cars.

PFE cars are well documented as having run on almost all West-East routes across the country, and to produce terminals in every major city. In the 'off-season' for west-coast produce, the PFE even had a car-sharing arrangement with BAR... to help move the fall-winter potato crop.
I'd also buy some 40 foot ice reefers or 50 mechanical reefers if those were ever made...
...another major gap in TT-scale car availability.
A previous effort to do a PFE R-40-type car in styrene was funded... but the dies were never cut.

Here is the UPFE lime green car:
UPFE-460638 R-70-25_GreenReefer.jpg
R-70 in lime green
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:41 pm

"PFE cars"

If anyone is interested in drawing up a TT scale PFE car for shapeways printing the now defunct Weaver O scale manufacturer made a nice O version that could be used for 3D reference.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:51 pm

PFE reefers yes please
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby NetzlofDesign » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:47 am

Hello All,

Sorry for the delay; Christmas and all....

Since we have migrated to this new post, and i see the questions being raised, I will provide the following link to some examples of our printed cars. http://imgur.com/a/oCOCj
I would like to point out for the new visitors here, this is a new process to the modeling industry (to the best of my knowledge) and can replicate nearly anything; From simple, one color logos and type on through to the appearance of a "wrapped" advertising or commemorative car.

To further the discussion points; I will state right off we do not intend to use Shapeways for the car. I will also state we do not intend to use "rapid prototyping" for full production. Should the project progress, we will be using a 3D printed item to build the master which will be cast (likely in poly urethane.)
It's also worth noting that the project is still in its infant stages, and I would not put a definitive timeline on any of it.

In the mean time, however, I will be experimenting with some Shapeways models and the printer to see how the process and Shapeways' plastic get along.
NetzlofDesign

Postby j p » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:24 am

It looks good but the first picture shows that you had some issues with alignment - or were the parts of the lettering on those 2 cars misaligned on purpose?
A good fixture which holds the items always at the same position would help.

When selecting the prototypes for TT scale models, a survey here on the board may help. You can also do it without, but in that case try to avoid duplication because the North American TT scale market is not very large.
E.g. if you want to make a boxcar, please don't make 40' Fowler, 40' AAR 1937, 40' PS-1 and 50' waffle side.
Getting a European distributor would help too, since Germany is probably the largest market for N.A. TT-scale and individual import is rather expensive.
j p

Postby NetzlofDesign » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Those cars were printed differently as per customer's wishes to represent a hand-alligned stencil of the transition era.

Here's a pile of N Scale hoppers that were printed to match.
At the time of the photo they still need to be over coated- but that's not my department.
NetzlofDesign

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:03 pm

NetzlofDesign wrote:I will state right off we do not intend to use Shapeways for the car.

:thumbup:

NetzlofDesign wrote:In the mean time, however, I will be experimenting with some Shapeways models and the printer to see how the process and Shapeways' plastic get along.

Try these guys instead https://i.materialise.com/ . Use the "prime gray" material. It's a smoother surface than what shapeways offers, there is no clean up of "goop" required and detail is very good. I also have not received a single a single warped model. A bit more expensive than shapeways but you get what you pay for.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby NetzlofDesign » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:36 pm

That's the issue I have with Shapeways- consistency of quality. Some prints I've gotten are good, some not so good.

I appreciate the link, Stereolithography is what we've been pouring the most research into as I believe it has the potential for the most advantageous advancements relating to our plans. Given the nature of 3D printing (layer by layer) there will always be certain amounts of resolution lines shown, but what I've seen from high end Stereolithography prints the amount is minimal and will allow for the easiest cleanup.

The continuing thought of working with Shapeways plastic and my printer is to satisfy current trends- a lot of folks seem to really like getting stuff from Shapeways, and I'd like to have a handle on working with it in the event a box of 20 Shapeways printed somethings show up for an order.
NetzlofDesign

Postby Seligman Sub » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:35 pm

Those cars look really nice. So are you "painting" the whole car with this process or merely printing the reporting marks, insignias etc.?
Seligman Sub

Postby NetzlofDesign » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:46 am

Typically it's more economical to paint the car and print the graphics on afterwards, much the same as traditional pad printing methods.

We can, however, print the entire car, as seen here:
NetzlofDesign

Previous

Return to General Discussion