My Tinkering

My Tinkering

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 21, 2010 12:48 am

I have some custom things spread around the site and figured I should put them all in one place. Well, I won't :shock:

But I will from now on :grin:

So, here goes the first entry. I have a bunch of BTTB style switch machines and figured I can save money by reusing them on my new layout with Tillig switches. They will be in the staging area (out of sight) so I am not concerned with looks or anything else. Just function. I'll start this backwards since I made a small video of the first test. In the near future I'll post pics and an explanation of what I did. The switch itself is not complete but obviously that makes no difference.

My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: My Tinkering

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri May 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Not bad! Those switch machines are much sturdier (not to mention WAY cheaper) than the new Tillig variety.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 22, 2010 12:46 am

Yeah really, if you already have them there is no reason not to use them. And even if they're old, there's not much that can go wrong with them - ultimately they're just a magnet and a coil.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Here is the mod for the above video.

There are three parts - the shaft, the channel and, the pivot. All are made from brass and soldered together.

The shaft is ~ 28mm long by 3 - 4mm wide. I believe the material is 1mm thick (I haven't measured it).
The shaft is bent to hook into the Tillig switch.

The channel is just that - a piece of channel stock cut to 2 ~ 3mm in length. This will be soldered over the hook end of the shaft so the hook has no chance of sliding out sideways.

The pivot is a 2mm long piece of 2mm diameter round stock. It gets soldered to the other end of the shaft and is the part that fits into the BTTB machine.

That's it!

BTTB_machine_to_Tillig_switch_1.jpg

BTTB_machine_to_Tillig_switch_2.jpg

BTTB_machine_to_Tillig_switch_3.jpg

BTTB_machine_to_Tillig_switch_4.jpg

BTTB_machine_to_Tillig_switch_5.jpg

BTTB_machine_to_Tillig_switch_6.jpg

BTTB_machine_to_Tillig_switch_7.jpg

BTTB_machine_to_Tillig_switch_8.jpg

BTTB_machine_to_Tillig_switch_9.jpg

The next step is to find a way to use these machine as under table machines for the upper deck. But that will come in due time.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:36 pm

James has been trying to use relays from RadioShack to operate turnouts, and it trying to make some of them purely mechanical, like how many older turnouts were in real-life.

Sometimes I wonder if buying him the old issues of Model Railroader haven't made him try to make things more complex...
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 am

K.I.S.S.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:43 pm

KISS!
Gene_Simmons_in_Boston.jpg
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 pm

By the way, for our international friends, k.i.s.s. stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid".
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:36 pm

I just noticed the original post which I missed before and am ecstatic about watching TT trains while listening to Vangellis absolutely brilliant
richardedmonds

Return to Prototypes / Models