my opinion

Talk about anything and everything!

my opinion

Postby jmass » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:07 pm

occasionaly i will check out the ebay sights for n and ho scale just to see whats going on. the more i do the more i have tshake my head. if i had a dime for every time i heard the phrase that theres not enough difference between tt scale and n or ho to make it popular ide could retire. well my response from now on is going to be that you need to get your haggis eyes checked out because theres a big difference. i think im going to write atlas, athearn and the rest and tell em the same thing.
jmass

Re: my opinion

Postby Marquette » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Being right in between HO and N, there cannot be any more difference between TT, N and HO and not have TT be more like one of the other two.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:29 pm

If you want to use a magnifying glass to see your models, by all means go N. If you have a barn for a layout, you can't go wrong with HO.

If you don't see the difference between those two and TT, I'm really not sure what there is to be said.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TTTerrific » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 pm

ConducTTor is absolutely correct. There's nothing further to be said on this subject--IMHO.
TTTerrific

Postby Petercat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 am

Well, be nice, guys. I used to think that TT was a weird, in-between scale that didn't have much to recommend it.
Until I saw a set on ebay.de that was so pretty that I had to buy it.
I mean, I had wanted a TT set since I was a kid and saw them in the Sears Christmas catalog, but it was nothing really serious.
Then the set arrived and I laid the ol' Mark I eyeball on it, and held it in my hand. It became pretty obvious that TT is the perfect blend of size and detail.
This feeling was reinforced when I got some (Thanks, JMass!) track (easier to assemble than N), put the train on it (Easier than N again) and let it run (Smoother than N, better low speed performance).
I think that to really appreciate the fine points of TT, one has to physically experience it, as I did. Looking at photos just doesn't do TT justice.
Because in the last few months, I've gone from zero interest in TT to planning a layout. All from getting my hands on an old engine.
Last edited by Petercat on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's Peter, not Pete. Pete sounds like a bird fart.
Petercat

Postby Petercat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:33 am

So how did the rest of you folks meet TT, anyway?
Petercat

Postby Arseny » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Petercat wrote:So how did the rest of you folks meet TT, anyway?

As concerns me, I got my first TT-scale set as a gift. My father presented it to me when I was 7 years old. It was in 1976...
He decided that H0 is too big and it will be impossible to play with it well in our house. And N is too small, and it was hard to find and buy N-scale models in USSR at that time.

It was a starter BTTB (of course!) set, including electric locomotive, 2 passenger coaches, steam locomotive, gondola, flatcar, and some rails, 2 manual switches and power pack.
The steamer and cars are still alive! :grin:

Later I've bought a lot of rails, cars, locomotives and so on. My favorite locomotive was (and is!) the BR56.
But I did not have any figures, it upset me... :cry:
I had a big table in my room and built a "layout" on it.

railwaybw1000.jpg

Later, when I was 15-17 years old, I put it in the storeroom and forgot about it. I presented some stuff to my nephews, but they were not interested in it...

But few years ago, in 2008 or 2009, i visited the model railroad show...
And suddenly I decided to resume my old hobby!

Firstly I had German and Russian models.
But I do not speak German, while I can speak English (I hope... :oops: )
So I started seeking some info about TT in English. I'd found the ttscale.com website, Scalerailsonline.com forum... and now I am here!

I came to love the American theme in TT; I feel some romantic in American railways, and automobiles, and other technical equipment, especially of the 1950s. When I was a boy, we played cowboys, not Russian tractorists or German burghers... :lol:
Arseny

Postby Petercat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Arseny wrote:

"But I do not speak German, while I can speak English (I hope... :oops: )"

If you had not pointed it out, I would have assumed that English was your native language.
Like so many Russians that I have met.
I spent eleven years in Germany, and never learned. :oops:
My wife spoke English, Spanish, French and German. Fluently. When she was sixteen.
And she learned to speak Russian while we were in Germany.
I, on the other hand, never could learn even one other.
Petercat

Postby jmass » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

for me it was about three years ago when i saw an add for trees in model railroad craftsman that mentioned n tt ho scales. i never heard of tt scale before that so i went on line and read pretty much all i could on the scale. when seeing how hard it was to come accrose anything in north american prototype i pretty much said forget about it until i stumbled onto this forum and decided to give it a go.
jmass

Postby LVG1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:48 pm

When my mom and I were still living with my grandparents (she was 16 when I was born), I eventually discovered my uncle's (he's 10 years older than I) TT scale layout under the bed. Additionally there were always TT catalogues lying around which promoted my TT addiction.
Until the late 1990's there were no other scales for me. Since that time I've had an eye on Z scale, too. But yet I couldn't bring me to buy anything in this scale. TT will stay my favourite, although.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Next

Return to Off Topic