my opinion

Talk about anything and everything!

Re: my opinion

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Petercat wrote:So how did the rest of you folks meet TT, anyway?

I don't know where I first became aware of TT Scale, probably through Model Railroad magazine. There was an article on a TT-Scale layout in the 60'.

Then a decade or so ago I became aware of a TT-Scale newsgroup and joined that.
Sometime thereafter a fellow on Vancouver Island offered a collection for sale. I bought that.

Then Gold Coast started making their cars and I started buying those.

Then I think in 2010 at Western Rails a group of people I did not yet know had a TT-Scale display.
That got me more interested.
2011 at Western Rails there was another display.
Then I started the TT-Tracks concept and the rest is history. Building, collecting, running, having fun.

Don't know yet where I am going with TT-Scale but the journey has been fun.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:43 pm

I knew about TT from reading about it in older Model Railroading encyclopedias and from http://thortrains.net/ttscale/ttdex.html.

I started out in TT scale with a box of Tri-Ang TT3 trains (two 0-6-0 Jintys, a passenger coach, and a half dozen freight wagons) at a train show in Greenwich, CT in November 2007. (I also got my start in standard gauge trains that day with a pair of Ives passenger cars from the same dealer.)

I knew little about TT at the time, other than the fact that I had a few Glencoe "TT" models, and a Lionel 1:120 Chessie locomotive. For us, it was just another couple of notches in our belts for scales that we had collected at first. Then the TT obsession started......

Prior to buying that TT lot, we already had N, HO, OO, S, L, O, G, and 8 3/4" (ride on). Since then we added T and Z to the mix, mainly because it is what CaTTwoman281 (my wife Nicholle) wanted. (I may be wrong, but I am quite sure that Nicholle and I are the only husband-wife team on this site).

We had to get track for the TT3 trains, so we bought a BTTB starter set on eBay, unfortunately it was short one curve, so we bought more track, and more Tri-Ang and European TT. It wasn't until we got a cheap HP lot on eBay that we decided to pursue North American TT and got into scratchbuilding.

Pretty much every other scale, aside from T, Z, S, and 8 3/4" have been put aside to favor our North American TT fleet, which is getting up there in size, with about three dozen locos, around 200 cars (about half are in need of restoration/completion of some kind), and three modules.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:52 pm

where do you keep finding these American loco's angry, I dont want any more but am interested as to how you find them outside of ebay
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:30 pm

I grew up with it in Bulgaria because that's all there was (BTTB). Came to the US at the age of ten, found zero TT and forgot about trains. About 4 years ago I needed a hobby and thanks to the interwebs, found plenty of TT to empty my wallet on ;)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Christmas 1979. I spent a year with my grandparents in Hungary in 1979-80, and I got a BTTB train that they set up running under the tree.

Fast forward to around 1990 or 91, when there was the attempt to bring Zeuke-BTTB into North America, I was in Las Vegas, dropped by a hobby shop, saw they had BTTB! T-sets, in specific. Bought. And then it's been TT since, with the exception of brief excursions into Japanese proto N scale and Chinese proto HO.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 pm

richardedmonds wrote:where do you keep finding these American loco's angry, I dont want any more but am interested as to how you find them outside of ebay

The bulk of what I have came via eBay, however there are a few shows that I have been able to buy North American TT from.

There is an annual meet in Springfield, MA (just north of the MA/CT border near the Connecticut Electric Railway Association museum that has a few sellers that often times have TT for sale. That is how half of my HP 0-6-0s came into my fleet (including one that I met the seller at the meet, and followed him back to RI, where we bought a mint quality HP 0-6-0 from), along with about a dozen passenger and freight cars, and how I got most of my Lionel TT items. Charles Ro, the world's largest model train store, and the highest selling Lionel dealer in Malden, MA (just north of Boston, MA) has a section dedicated to older model trains, often on consignment, that has yielded a few TT items, including a few more Lionel TT locomotives, and some small parts boxes.

Big NMRA meets can turn up some neat things. At the 2009 NMRA meet, not only did I meet Matt Bown, host of Extreme Trains, I came across some men that had quite a bit of knowledge of HP products that run the New England NMRA region/chapter.

It helps if you can "program" yourself to pick up on the quirks of HP products in particular, as well as to gravitate towards older dealers/people selling older model train stuff. One booth at the Springfield meet where I bought a partial HP 0-6-0 (all it needs is the motor, and replacement cab, I have the worm for it), the seller was convinced that it was a narrow gauge TT locomotive.

In some ways I miss living in New England, but I do not miss the medical system in Connecticut. There are a LOT of non-internet-connected TTers out there.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Richard-B » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:30 am

Umm... one word: "Budapest!"

Went there in 1998 with my soon-to-be wife... The rest is history:
Father-in-Law - retired from MÁV Hungarian Railways - modeled in N.
Brother-in-Law - works for Rail Cargo Hungaria (formerly MÁV Cargo) - models TT...
Sister-in-Law - works for Rail Cargo Hungaria - lets husband model TT...
Step-nephew - helps Dad with TT...
...and my Wife: - helped her father build display layouts for exhibitions in East Germany...
- attended Engineering/Technical Gymnasium... and interned on MÁV lok maintenance (1:1 scale!)
She is the only train-tolerant MBA I know who can play violin, weld, and cut gear teeth on a mill.

I am paring down my non-TT stuff to what will fit on a 12" by 53" shelf display in the hallway,
and devoting available time to TT, especially now that I'm back from China. Time will tell....
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:34 am

Richard-B wrote:

Umm... one word: "Budapest!"

Went there in 1998 with my soon-to-be wife... The rest is history:

Brother-in-Law - works for Rail Cargo Hungaria (formerly MÁV Cargo) - models TT...
Sister-in-Law - works for Rail Cargo Hungaria - lets husband model TT...
Step-nephew - helps Dad with TT...

...and my Wife: - helped her father build display layouts for exhibitions in East Germany...

Damn dude. You had no chance did you? :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Petercat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

LVG1 wrote:

When my mom and I were still living with my grandparents (she was 16 when I was born), I eventually discovered my uncle's (he's 10 years older than I) TT scale layout under the bed. Additionally there were always TT catalogues lying around which promoted my TT addiction.
Until the late 1990's there were no other scales for me. Since that time I've had an eye on Z scale, too. But yet I couldn't bring me to buy anything in this scale. TT will stay my favourite, although.

Z still has one advantage over the rest, it is the largest scale where you can have a shelf layout that is also a continuous runner. Especially since Rokuhan came out with their 70mm radius curves! I'm building an oval layout on a 7.5" X 26" base.
"It's Peter, not Pete. Pete sounds like a bird fart.
Petercat

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:19 pm

I knew nothing about TT until after my husband bought a box of British TT trains at a train show in Greenwich, CT.

Oh, boy, once he took off with building stuff in TT, pretty much all of the other trains went by the wayside.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Previous

Return to Off Topic