My new toy and project

Re: My new toy and project

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:51 am

Rob what machine and software are you using???????? this machine looks like something I would love to play with myself if the price is right
richardedmonds

Postby Rob M » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:46 am

The machine is from here http://www.microcarve.com/mcMV1.html, It cost around $640 but I think the guy is upping his price a little. There is also the controller for the machine which I got from Probotix. (Probotix sells a readu to run machine which was designed by the same person)

For the software I'm using an old('95) version of QuickCad to create DXF files which are then opened with CamBam to produce the G-code and then Mach3 to run the machine. All together I have about $1,300 into it.
Rob M

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks Rob I saw something similar on UK ebay at around the same price. This is a very tempting idea idea as it just might save me spending the same amount of money down the pub over the summer. I love machines and this does look like something I would enjoy playing around with. Thanks for your info
richardedmonds

Postby Rob M » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:59 pm

Yeah, they are a lot of fun to work with. It's neat to see your part emerge from the raw material.
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:01 am

I knew this machine and software combo were capable of doing 3d engraving but never had much luck with it. Last night I made a concerted effort in figuring it out. And the results are nothing short of amazing! The model shown below is the top half of a 67 Corvette Stingray (really need a better camera). It is actually closer to Z scale (.855" for around 1:210 scale) as I don't have long enough ball nose mills for anything larger right now. The finish comes out so good that sanding isn't needed and would probably ruin some of the smaller details.

Unlike regular cnc'ing, this process seems to work better with rounder, curvier surfaces. Now I need to go find some more 3d models that would be more appropriate for TT!

Dead image links removed.
Last edited by Rob M on Wed May 02, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob M

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:06 am

Your skills are making me extreemly jealous because that is amazing
richardedmonds

Postby Rob M » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks for the offer Bernd but what I need are long reach ball mills where "L3" is about 3/4" or more. The ones I have now the L3 is only about .150".

Dead image links removed.

Lately I've been getting most of my cutters from Drillman1 on eBay, http://stores.ebay.com/CARBIDE-PLUS?_trksid=p2047675.l2563. The Kyocera cutters he sells are fairly cheap but incredibly sharp.
Last edited by Rob M on Wed May 02, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Dang! That's so curvy and smooth!!!! You can model like a bazillion things.

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby MacG » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Have a look at Datron. There I buy my drills and cutters for my model projects. A long reach ball mills have the Dental Milling Tools.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:28 am

Boy, miss a day of postings at TT_Nut and you miss a lot. You guys are doing such interesting work. I'm reading postings daily from now on to try to keep up. Whew!

Bernd, I just posted a question about approaches to 3D CNC milling at the SherlineCNC yahoo site to see what those guys have to say. I've Got Rhino and Flamingo I bought years ago but never got into them. Big mistake. (I think, at the time, Rhino was such a memory hog I gave it up.) Rhino was reported to work very well with a 3D CAM program, iirc . . . MeshCAM maybe?

Rob, your Stingray pattern is spectacular! Great work. I went to the machine linked page but it was blank other than the message that the dealer is out of stock until June.

-Brian

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion