My new toy and project

Re: My new toy and project

Postby j p » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:37 am

ConducTTor wrote:
Bernd wrote:There is another company also besides Shapeways. I think it's called iMaterials or something like that. They use better materials.

Correct (iMaterialise).

Shapeways is better for now because when you type "TT scale" in Shapeways, you can actually buy something.
iMaterialise do not have any TT scale models (or their search is broken). Better material does not help if there is no model to make out of it. They have some H0 models though. The designer may be wiling to rescale to TT...
j p

Postby scaro » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:16 am

issue with a lot of 3D models is that they are done via 3D because they are oddities, that is they aren't worth doing as an injection mold.

so forget about finding a generic PS1 or similar boxcar on shapeways ... it would be very unlikely for anyone to have a reason to make one ...

down the road, absence of kit manufacturers like sunshine might prompt more odd rolling stock to be done in 3D but I think we are always going to lack the 'regular' things.

this is a pity because the shapeways technique is well suited to things like boxcar roofs where you need to precisely replicate complex shapes in a regular sequence and spacing.

i was trying to do a diagonal roof master using evergreen styrene. there's simply no way ... even being very sparing with the solvent, the amount of warping is too great. so that is going to have to wait till another technique emerges or i learn how to etch. tried a sketch-up tutorial - it and my mind unfortunately do not work the same way.

ben
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:24 am

Ben,
I am not interested in any "generic" models. We have seen too many "models of nothing" in NA TT.
No generic models please! It was OK to do it in 1950s or 1960. Not now. The technology has developed since then.
I want a model of a real PS1 boxcar, not something what would only resemble it.
Jan
j p

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:51 pm

[quote="Carsten"]I'm just kidding. :dance: :lol: It's out of the 1:100 edition of unmotorized models and designed for the Union Pacific FEF steam loco, which has been sold separately. The loco is to big. I have to narrow the tender and than it fits perfect for a Big Boy. The collection was published by Atlas publishing company Switzerland. http://www.atlas-editions.de/ The models appear onl1

LOL good one Carsten! certainly had me fooled :lol: :lol: :lol:
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:29 pm

j p wrote:Ben,
I am not interested in any "generic" models. We have seen too many "models of nothing" in NA TT.
No generic models please! It was OK to do it in 1950s or 1960. Not now. The technology has developed since then.
I want a model of a real PS1 boxcar, not something what would only resemble it.
Jan

you have me wrong, jp. i mean 'common' by generic. should have used that word.
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:27 pm

OK, no problem.
Maybe the boxcar from Art&Detail is a PS-1?
The information about the prototypes for models from German manufacturers is not sufficient. It is listed as "40ft grain boxcar". But that can be anything...
Lok-n-roll has the same problem.

Here is a picture of the Art&Detail car. What do you think? Is it PS-1?

AD_40ft_boxcar.jpg
j p

Postby areibel » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Nope!
Check out this pic-
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gall ... 3main.html
No side bracing on the prototype, the ends are different and From the pic it doesn't look like the roof is right either. It could be correct for something different, I'm not expert but it's not a PS-1
areibel

Postby j p » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Maybe he wanted to make this:
No matter what, writing it in the catalog could save us some time.
j p

Postby scaro » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:53 pm

i don't know what it's supposed to be. the end pressings don't look like a PS1 to me, nor does the roof, but i can't see sufficient detail of the image to really work it out.
scaro

Postby Richard-B » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:07 am

scaro wrote:<snip>i can't see sufficient detail of the image to really work it out.
Looking at the larger picture... and I STILL can't figure out what was intended!
  • The ends look like early dreadnaught... (i.e. NOT PS-1) and seem sunk into the sides
  • The roof is either extremely coarse... or a type I am not aware of.
  • The side sill is exceptionally short and deep...
  • Are the raised side seems supposed to represent rivet strips? ...or exterior posts? I can't tell...
To be fair... the prototype could be some type of rebuilt 1937 AAR box car (or similar)... with a reinforced side sill, and retrofitted modern plug door with grain door. If so; it is probably a one-off modification for a specific railroad.

It would be useful to find out what A&D followed for this design... as it does not seem to match any of the 4,926 box car photos I have on my archive drive.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion