My new toy and project

Re: My new toy and project

Postby areibel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:14 pm

THAT'S RIGHT SUCKERS, IT'S MINE, ALL MINE! MUA HAA HAA!
Phew, glad I got that off my chest.
But dang it, now I got to build a steam locomotive nice enough to go with it!
areibel

Postby Rob M » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Yep, it was done in pieces so I could machine them as flat parts.

Ben has mentioned that the European Shapeways has much better quality than the US one.
Rob M

Postby j p » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:30 am

Rob M wrote:Yep, it was done in pieces so I could machine them as flat parts.

Ben has mentioned that the European Shapeways has much better quality than the US one.

I have bought some *stuff* from Shapeways NL and it turned quite good. It was not the cheapest material though. The only problem I have is cleaning of the 2bay covered hopper from Alex. It is impossible to clean! Please make the tender in several flat parts.

I have noticed that the end of the tender towards the engine was incomplete, the middle was missing. Could you please finish it for Shapeways?

Regarding the rivet size: a good guideline could be the GoldCoast AAR 1937 boxcars. The rivet size on the panels is the limit. They vertical rivets on the connection of the panels sometimes disappear while the horizontal rivets at the bottom of the panels remain visible.
The rivets should be larger for Shapeways anyway. Maybe not as large as for milling, but it is only a minor detail I can live with.
j p

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:13 am

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
areibel wrote:THAT'S RIGHT SUCKERS, IT'S MINE, ALL MINE! MUA HAA HAA!
Phew, glad I got that off my chest.
But dang it, now I got to build a steam locomotive nice enough to go with it!
You lucky fellah lol
richardedmonds

Postby Carsten » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:20 am

I own one too :o
Details later :wink:
Attachments
A_Tender (2).jpg
A_Tender (6).jpg
Carsten

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:46 am

Carsten wrote:I own one too :o

Hey what's happening here? how long has this secret TT society been existence :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
richardedmonds

Postby j p » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:06 pm

richardedmonds wrote:
Carsten wrote:I own one too :o

Hey what's happening here? how long has this secret TT society been existence :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL
Carsten's tender is 1/100 though, from Editions Atlas. I have that one too, but it does not really fit to my 1/120 Challenger.

Bernd: I have a real table-top injection molding machine at work. Some "adult" size machines too. The tool would be expensive, slightly cheaper for the baby machine, but still expensive. That is the problem.
Injection molding needs higher numbers. How many people here have a HP Challenger or Big Boy?
My guess: out of the 10-15 active in NA TT, one half can use this tender. So we are down to 5-7. Therefore, I would recommend either 3D print, milling, or a resin copy.
Let's try injection molding on something we can make at least in hundreds. Something like archbar trucks! I'd need a hundred of those only for myself...
j p

Postby Carsten » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:10 pm

I'm just kidding. :dance: :lol: It's out of the 1:100 edition of unmotorized models and designed for the Union Pacific FEF steam loco, which has been sold separately. The loco is to big. I have to narrow the tender and than it fits perfect for a Big Boy. The collection was published by Atlas publishing company Switzerland. http://www.atlas-editions.de/ The models appear only sometimes at ebay.
Carsten

Postby MacG » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:18 pm

Rob M wrote:For your driver you will be better off making the model at full scale and then using Sketchup's scaling feature to bring it down to the correct scale. That way you can work with the full scale dimensions from drawings of a driver. And, most importantly, Sketchup doesn't work well when creating model that are very tiny. It has an annoying autocorrect feature that will distort small lines and circles. But, if you make them full scale and scale them down it doesn't do that (I have no idea why)

But don't use SketchUp to scale them down. This ends with the same failure. I use netfabb Basic for scaling the STL-files and check and fix minor errors.

To the project centipede tender:
The removing of the rivets is a good idea, but the time to set the rivets is immense. How about to mill with a toric end mill (the image is used to explain)? And mill only the areas with the detailed rivets with a small ball cutter. Thats saves machine time.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:44 pm

Bernd wrote:There is another company also besides Shapeways. I think it's called iMaterials or something like that. They use better materials.

Correct (iMaterialise).
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion