My new toy and project

Re: My new toy and project

Postby Rob M » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Sketchup isn't the best 3d modeler but it works. I think Alex uses Catia (something like that) but I don't think it's free.

One step I forgot to mention is the original work starts in a cad program and is saved as a dxf file. That I then import into Sketchup. But you need version 7 of Sketchup and a plug-in for importing dxf files (I have both if you need). I then save it and reopen the file in version 8 which is a little more stable. I need to download the latest version and see if it is any better.
Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:48 pm

I use either Sketchup or Catia depending on the complexity of the model.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rob M » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:55 pm

"CamBam", just to not confuse anyone.

So long as you have backlash under control I'm sure the Sureline can handle it. The files for 3D do get large quickly. The ones for the sides are around 1.6 million lines of code.

Resins (alumilite in my case) machine beautifully. So does machineable wax but it isn't as tough. You could erase some of the rivets with a swipe of a finger.

"So many things to try so little time."
So true!
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:09 pm

"Oh, BTW, I just downloaded Sketchup 2015 plus STL (?) add on."

Great, let me know if you need help figuring anything out. I think I gave up on it about 5 times before getting the hang of it.
Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Look up Sketchup demos on YouTube - there are plenty to get you started.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rob M » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:32 pm

The push/pull tool is used for adding height to a face. Note that you can type in a dimension after pulling/pushing a surface to get the exact height you need.

Rob M

Postby Rob M » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:26 am

Gotcha, for the most part I just use a best guess approach combined with any known dimensions. For truck side frames I have been using .05" for the thickness of the main section and then extruding the details to where they look proportional to photos of the real thing.

For your driver you will be better off making the model at full scale and then using Sketchup's scaling feature to bring it down to the correct scale. That way you can work with the full scale dimensions from drawings of a driver. And, most importantly, Sketchup doesn't work well when creating model that are very tiny. It has an annoying autocorrect feature that will distort small lines and circles. But, if you make them full scale and scale them down it doesn't do that (I have no idea why)
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:34 am

One other quick tip.

When making a circle, immediately after adding it, type 100s in the dimension box and press enter so it will be broken up into 100 segments instead of the default 20. There after any other circles you add will also have 100 segments. You can enter any number but 100 works well at TT scales.
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:10 am

As you go along you might run into situations where using actual scale dimensions will give details that are too fine and you need to make them bigger. The rivets on the tender are a good example, if they were to actual scale they would disappear under a few coats of paint.
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:16 pm

Just so he doesn't blow a gasket trying to keep this to himself, I have given the centipede tender to Al. He supplied me with scans of blueprints for it. And, being a first proto type there are a few minor errors on that one.

Also, I am contemplating offering it through Shapeways. I know it probably won't be as good but with this thing its about the only option. One idea I came up with is removing the rivets from the model so it can be sanded smooth and then have Archer rivets applied. I think that may be the best option for getting a quality finish.

Thoughts?
Rob M

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion