My new Chevrolet-Niva

Talk about anything and everything!

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby gerhard_k » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:55 pm

LVG1 wrote:Yes, "Russian-American", true, true... :lol:

Arseny wrote:As for fuel economy: it takes 14 l/100 km (19.5 mpg) in the city, and 9 l/100 km (26 mpg) on the highway.

This value absolutely complys with Central European prejudices about the thirst of Russian and American engines, as well. :wink:

Nice car!
Have fun! :thumbup:

That is just astonishing! Do you have any idea of the design history of the engine? The US-spec 2014 Chevrolet Cruze sedan with automatic transmission, which is probably a much nicer car, is rated at 26 mpg city and 38 mpg highway, and that is typical of small US cars. GM should be ashamed to be associated with such a Stone-Age-era design! :thumbdown:

With gasoline costs what they are in Europe, one would think a little higher initial cost should be soon paid off by the fuel savings...
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: Annapolis MD USA

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby LVG1 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:21 pm

gerhard_k wrote:With gasoline costs what they are in Europe, one would think a little higher initial cost should be soon paid off by the fuel savings...

May be that's why Chevrolet Niva is not offered in Central Europe. :wink:

But what are the gasonline costs like in Russia? :?:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
User avatar
LVG1
 
Posts: 864
Images: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Guben / Gubin; Germany? Poland?—No, Lusatia!

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby Arseny » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:15 pm

gerhard_k wrote:That is just astonishing! Do you have any idea of the design history of the engine? The US-spec 2014 Chevrolet Cruze sedan with automatic transmission, which is probably a much nicer car, is rated at 26 mpg city and 38 mpg highway, and that is typical of small US cars. GM should be ashamed to be associated with such a Stone-Age-era design! :thumbdown:

With gasoline costs what they are in Europe, one would think a little higher initial cost should be soon paid off by the fuel savings...


But it is not usual sedan for highway or city, like Chevrolet Cruze. Niva is true off-road 4*4 car, so such comparison is incorrect. Compare it with some SUV!

You will not pass here driving Chevrolet Cruze:

Niva-Shevrole-otzyvy.jpg
d94e7748ca647ed73d374eacabd8b095.jpg


My neighbour owned a SUV (Toyota RAV), but he could not pass to his summer house at winter and he changed his Toyota to Niva. :wink:

Of course, if I take usual Russian sedan, such as Lada Granta or so, it would be much more economical, close to Chevrolet Cruze.

As concerns engine - the history of this engine goes back to the 1960s, when FIAT designed new engine for Soviet/Russian "Lada" car. (It was a licensed copy of 1966 FIAT-124, but the engine was new). So Lada-1200 got new engine. Later, in the mid-1970s, the engine was modified, cylinder displacement increased, and new Lada-1600 and new Niva 4*4 car got this engine, 1.6 L. Later, in 1990s, it was modified again, cylinder displacement increased up to 1.7 L, and it got fuel injection. Now this engine is used on my Chevy-Niva...
User avatar
Arseny
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:42 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby LVG1 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Hey, your pictures look like real fun! :clap: :mrgreen: :dance:

By the way:
In Central Europe, the designation SUV is only used for pure street vehicles which only look like offroaders.
So SUV is considered to be something nobody needs. And SUV drivers are rather smiled about. Often they are even looked down one's nose at because of their unnecessarily inefficient cars.

Real offroaders—like Niva—are rather rare here. :cry:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
User avatar
LVG1
 
Posts: 864
Images: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Guben / Gubin; Germany? Poland?—No, Lusatia!

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby LVG1 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:10 pm

gerhard_k wrote:The US-spec 2014 Chevrolet Cruze sedan with automatic transmission, which is probably a much nicer car, is rated at 26 mpg city and 38 mpg highway, and that is typical of small US cars.

In Central Europe, a DIN consumption of about 7.5 l / 100 km (31 mpg) is kind of "sonic wall". Every contemporary car (also large ones) consuming more is considered to be "thirsty" by most people.

By the way:
Chevy Cruze is a Korean car. So it's not a good example for American cars...
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
User avatar
LVG1
 
Posts: 864
Images: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Guben / Gubin; Germany? Poland?—No, Lusatia!

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby Arseny » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:02 pm

LVG1 wrote:In Central Europe, a DIN consumption of about 7.5 l / 100 km (31 mpg) is kind of "sonic wall". Every contemporary car (also large ones) consuming more is considered to be "thirsty" by most people.


My previous car, Russian IZH "Oda", took 6.5 l/100 km on highway (at 90 km/h) and 10 l/100 km in the city.
If you want to drive SUV or "true" off-road car, you will consume much more fuel...

BTW, several years ago "Chevrolet Niva FAM-1" version was available, with Opel 1.8 engine (122 h.p.). The fuel consumption was not dramatically lower: 12.7 l/100 km (18.5 mpg) in the city, 8.4 l/100 km (28 mpg) on highway
This version was not too popular, so the production ceased.

LVG1 wrote:By the way:
Chevy Cruze is a Korean car. So it's not a good example for American cars...


It seems to me that a lot of Chevrolet cars, especially in Europe, are Korean ones, former Daewoo.

LVG1 wrote:But what are the gasonline costs like in Russia


I am confused a little...
The price is about 30-35 roubles for 1 L. For today it means approx. 0.5 Euro/1 L. But exhange rate changes very quickly last days - for today it is 67 roubles/1 Euro, while 2-3 months ago it was 50. So not so long ago it was 0.7 Euro/1 L...
User avatar
Arseny
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:42 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby areibel » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:34 pm

That's not bad! 35 rubles/liter is about $2.50/ gallon, that's cheaper than I'm paying! ($2.95 now, well over $3 a month ago).
And my little Dodge Dakota 4x4 truck can't do better than about 20 miles per gallon even on the highway- it looks like a nice car Arseny!
But I do like the new version coming in 2016, that one reminds me of the little Mercedes that were in the Jurassic Park movie!
areibel
 
Posts: 1671
Images: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Cambridge Springs PA

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby LVG1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Arseny wrote:The price is about 30-35 roubles for 1 L. For today it means approx. 0.5 Euro/1 L. But exhange rate changes very quickly last days - for today it is 67 roubles/1 Euro, while 2-3 months ago it was 50. So not so long ago it was 0.7 Euro/1 L...

areibel wrote:That's not bad! 35 rubles/liter is about $2.50/ gallon, that's cheaper than I'm paying! ($2.95 now, well over $3 a month ago).

That sounds good.

I'm glad to not have a car. So I don't have to care about gasoline prices. As far as I remember (I usually don't look at the gas stations' price boards), it's next to impossible to get gasoline for less than 1.50 € / l. What is it in $ / gallon?

I had to sell my recent car long ago. It was a 1990 Audi 100. It took about 12 l / 100 km (19.6 mpg) in the city and about 11 l / 100 km (21.4 mpg) on the highway (at 180 km / h [112 mph] :P )... :crazy:
Last edited by LVG1 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
User avatar
LVG1
 
Posts: 864
Images: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Guben / Gubin; Germany? Poland?—No, Lusatia!

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby areibel » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Roughly 3.8 litres per gallon, so that would be 5.7 Euros or a little over $7 US per gallon!
:o
areibel
 
Posts: 1671
Images: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Cambridge Springs PA

Re: My new Chevrolet-Niva

Postby LVG1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:28 pm

areibel wrote:Roughly 3.8 litres per gallon, ...

To be exact: 1 gallon = 3.785411784 liters :ugeek:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
User avatar
LVG1
 
Posts: 864
Images: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Guben / Gubin; Germany? Poland?—No, Lusatia!

Previous

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests