Re: My HP Steamer is on the way!

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:23 pm

IMG_0059.JPG
Murad this should be the pilot for that loco
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Murad
I know you were looking for old HP loco parts. There is some history that you might like to be aware of.

To make use of a lot of parts that Larry Sayre ( godfather of American TT) had in his garage my friend in the UK John Fisher (now deceased) had a lot of parts copied here in the UK to send to Larry to complete old HP loco kits. These parts basically included all the parts that are pot metal or whitemetal such as biolers cabs etc. With the advent of time and the loss of Johns old moulds these parts are not now available anymore. However there are still some odd parts around of which I have a few left from parts I inherited after Johns death.
Although I can't really promise anything it might be possible to copy some parts I have left but the cost could well be too expensive due to the current metal prices. John I think used to charge around $30.00 for a large boiler but that was six or seven years ago and I guess the price could be more than doubled now and of course the weight in postage would be collosal. However all things are possible I suppose.
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 pm

I can try!
Here's a pic, I don't know how well it will come out. My son has the "good" camera at college, the old one doesn't zoom in very well.
The parts are based on the locomotive they're used on, there are several different hangers and eccentrics. The length of the eccentric and the straight pin is what changes, based on the wheelbase of the locomotive. There are three parts on a 2-8-0, the hanger that screws to the frame (with the fiber pivots mounted onto it), the eccentric ( the swiveling piece that mounts to the driver, with the rod that runs to the pivot) and a long bent straight pin that goes from the pivot forward to the steam chest. The larger locomotives had an additional piece that went forward to the steam chest, they used a shorter pin that ties into the crosshead. I'll have to see if I have some of the parts so I can post some pics of the different pieces and sizes.

areibel

Postby areibel » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:13 pm

I forgot about the front truck!
I have several HP engines that have what look like home made front trucks. They are made of a piece of flat brass .5mm thick, about 7-8 mm wide and long enough so when it's finished it's about 16mm from the center of the mounting hole to the center of the axle. They wrap the front of the brass around the axle and carefully solder it closed to hold the axle, then drill the mounting hole. The back edge is rounded so the corners of the brass don't interfere with anything. They mount using the small screw thatholds the bottom plate down.
areibel

Re: My HP Steamer came! Need some info =)

Postby Murad » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Here is the picture of mine one
Attachments
538777191_o.jpg
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Postby Murad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 am

areibel
May I ask you for the picture of the other side?
Murad

Postby Murad » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Some news about my consolidation.
I finished rebuilding/repairing/cleaning the motor, frame and driving wheels. Tried to run it. It runs great on Tillig rails but I have a lot of problems running it on the BTTB rails. I had an "O" shaped layout and the steamer was derailg on it. Also it didn't run smooth on it. I always had to shake it to make it running. BTTB locomotives running pretty good on it. Right now I am waiting the front pilot and still trying to find the front truck for sale.
The next step will be restoring the body. I'v made the window frames already.
Here you can see the first run of my partly restored loco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90WMCVvU ... e=youtu.be
and see some pictures of it.
Attachments
IMG_9596.JPG
IMG_9602.JPG
IMG_9603.JPG
IMG_9604.JPG
IMG_9597.JPG
Murad

Postby tomvanhoy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:32 pm

Sometimes the derailing problem is due to the fine flanges of HP locos. The rolled rail allows the wheels to ride over the rails on curves. Unless you have solid rail, then I am all wrong!
Good luck,
Tom
tomvanhoy

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 pm

tomvanhoy wrote:Sometimes the derailing problem is due to the fine flanges of HP locos. The rolled rail allows the wheels to ride over the rails on curves. Unless you have solid rail, then I am all wrong!
Good luck,
Tom

Those older "Upside down U shaped" rails are junk. Perhaps it is time for an upgrade.

Murad, have you given any thought to constructing a pilot that would make this into an 0-8-0?

Here is a link to the photos of my husband's HP 0-8-0:
hp-products-0-8-0-t352.html
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models