My Goldilocks moment.

My Goldilocks moment.

Postby Petercat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:10 am

Oh, boy, am I in trouble...
My earliest memory of TT gauge is seeing it as a child in the Sears Roebucks catalog, way back when "Roebucks" was a part of the name. I wanted a set, but never got one. Fast forward to this modern era of internet and ebay.
I found a nice little Prussian set, just a 2-8-0 tender engine and four cars, and decided, "Hey, that would look nice on the shelf with my Euro HO, N and Z gauge trains!"
Big mistake.
Now, I only have the one HO set, as I feel that HO is just a bit too large and clunky. I likewise have just one N guage set, since if I'm going to go small, I might as well go all the way to Z (No steamers in T). I have a lot of Z.
So the package arrives, I open the box, and as I'm holding that little engine in the palm of my hand, comes my "Oh, s**t" moment.
The engine is the perfect size. Not as large and clunky as HO, not as small and hard to see as N or Z....
My Goldilocks moment has arrived.
So I'm sitting there on my couch, staring at this lovely little engine, examining the finely detailed running gear, the boiler, the tender...
Then I look up at my Z stuff. The 11' x 40" layout that I'm building. The display shelves full of Z trains. 35 engines. 210 wagons. Enough track to wrap around my house. Buildings. Autos. People.
Urgh. Years of buying, and then I discover TT.
Engines with complex running gear.
Autos with interiors. And wheels that turn.
People with faces.
I've got a real problem here. No, I'm not going to get rid of my Z. But I'd just about collected everything I wanted. My spending was about to be greatly reduced.
And then I discover the perfect gauge, TT.
Sooo.... Now I need track. And buildings. And people. And trees. Lots of trees. I like trees.
But where am I going to put another layout? And how am I going to pay for it all?
I have a headache.
"It's Peter, not Pete. Pete sounds like a bird fart.
Petercat

Re: My Goldilocks moment.

Postby Arseny » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:26 am

Welcome to TT-world, Petercat! :wave:
Agreed with you, TT is the perfect scale! :thumbup:

I think, if you have a space for 11' x 40" layout, you can build a nice TT-scale world there!

There are a lot of TT-scale stuff available, especially German, Czech and Russian; and some American too.

As for trees - there are some trees in TT available from Noch, Heki, Auhagen and some other manufacturers.
In real world the trees are different; there are big trees and there are small trees, so we can use HO-scale and N-scale trees also!

If you like trees - look here:
http://forum.tt-hobby.ru/showthread.php/249 (in Russian)
http://www.tt-board.de/forum/vbglossar. ... try&id=198 (in German)
- a great forest module!
Arseny

Postby Petercat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:38 am

"I think, if you have a space for 11' x 40" layout, you can build a nice TT-scale world there!"

Actually, Arseny, I've thought of that- build an N layout above the Z, then a TT above the N... the only problem is that the Z layout is just below two windows!
I'm thinking about building a 3x6' TT layout that I can take to the next model train show. When people ask me what it is, I'll tell them that I left my N and HO trains out on the same table while I was on vacation, and when I returned I had a bunch of new TT trains that I'd never seen before!
Interbreeding can have positive results sometimes.
Petercat

Postby jmass » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:37 am

i know how you feel my freind. ive posted my f3 three times on ebay just to end up ending the item because i cant sell it. this scale gets a hold on you. welcome to the board! by the way, use to love top cat when i was a kid. savannah, looks like your in the bosses territory!
jmass

Postby Petercat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:55 am

Believe it or not, I drive to Atlanta two or three times a week. But I usually arrive around midnight, then a half hour later and I'm headed home.
If anyone has a Santa Fe F7 for sale...
Petercat

Postby j p » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Peter, the cheapest trees come from China.
I have got 100 small trees for $9.30 ($11.7 incl. shipping)
j p

Postby dileTTante » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:25 pm

Peter, you are in trouble for sure. Check Conductor's profile. Notice the word 'Atlanta'.
dileTTante

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Petercat wrote:Oh, boy, am I in trouble...
My earliest memory of TT gauge is seeing it as a child in the Sears Roebucks catalog, way back when "Roebucks" was a part of the name. I wanted a set, but never got one. Fast forward to this modern era of internet and ebay.
I found a nice little Prussian set, just a 2-8-0 tender engine and four cars, and decided, "Hey, that would look nice on the shelf with my Euro HO, N and Z gauge trains!"
Big mistake.
Now, I only have the one HO set, as I feel that HO is just a bit too large and clunky. I likewise have just one N guage set, since if I'm going to go small, I might as well go all the way to Z (No steamers in T). I have a lot of Z.
So the package arrives, I open the box, and as I'm holding that little engine in the palm of my hand, comes my "Oh, s**t" moment.
The engine is the perfect size. Not as large and clunky as HO, not as small and hard to see as N or Z....
My Goldilocks moment has arrived.
So I'm sitting there on my couch, staring at this lovely little engine, examining the finely detailed running gear, the boiler, the tender...
Then I look up at my Z stuff. The 11' x 40" layout that I'm building. The display shelves full of Z trains. 35 engines. 210 wagons. Enough track to wrap around my house. Buildings. Autos. People.
Urgh. Years of buying, and then I discover TT.
Engines with complex running gear.
Autos with interiors. And wheels that turn.
People with faces.
I've got a real problem here. No, I'm not going to get rid of my Z. But I'd just about collected everything I wanted. My spending was about to be greatly reduced.
And then I discover the perfect gauge, TT.
Sooo.... Now I need track. And buildings. And people. And trees. Lots of trees. I like trees.
But where am I going to put another layout? And how am I going to pay for it all?
I have a headache.

Exactly where we were at about a half-decade ago. Before we stumbled upon our first box to TT stuff at a train show, we already had stuff in Z, N, HO, OO, S, O, L, G, Standard, and 83/4" (ride on). Each has it's place, although we are likely going to sell some of our HO and O stuff later on, and with a few exceptions, we have no intentions of getting more in most of those gauges, now that we have our TT stuff to run, build, and tinker with.

That is the thing about trains....they are low calorie, low fat, low sodium, and devilishly addictive.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:33 am

CaTTwoman281 wrote:devilishly addictive.

And equally costly :crazy:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion