My first 3D workings...

My first 3D workings...

Postby Marquette » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:50 pm

So, needed to do something simple to start learning how to do this 3D stuff. So, I picked this:

milling co N of depot.JPG

This is the old elevator that used to be in Bad Axe, Michigan.

I'd managed to make some drawings of it and get a general feel for the appearance of each side of the building using photos taken from other angles (though in all of those, the elevator is just a background thing).

And here are my first results in Sketchup:

elevator.png
elevator.png (21.72 KiB) Viewed 370 times

This is the street-side view.

elevatortrackside.png
elevatortrackside.png (21.14 KiB) Viewed 370 times

This is the trackside view.

Not sure why, but I uploaded it to Shapeways... in white strong flexible it'd be $2953 to print it out. Of course, it's just a solid block yet. And, 99.999999% chance that I'm just going to build this out of styrene and scale corrugated metal (already have these in hand). But as an experiment to learn with, I think it's worked out.

My next project will be the depot in Bad Axe:

depot.jpg

I've got plenty of photos from all angles, so will be working out the dimensions. I'm thinking, though, that the most that I'll get printed of this is the round turret, as that's rather hard to build in styrene; the rest is plenty doable. Another possibility for printing is the roof, but we'll see yet!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: My first 3D workings...

Postby Marquette » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:13 pm

Past half an hour have been tearing my hair out, trying to make it NOT fill in an area I want open...
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:31 am

Ok, several things:

1. Take a look at the lines I've circled. They shouldn't be there. Lines that are just "there" on a plane are not correct. That makes the object non manifold.

2. The price is due to the fact that it's a solid object as opposed to a shell.

3. The price is also possibly due to inappropriate scale. Take a look at what the Shapeways gives as the dimensions. Are they in inches? Millimeters? The same as what you expect?

As for fill where you want nothing (open area), you just need to play around with the software some more to learn its intricacies.

Having said all that, it's very good for a first try. Keep at it and you may arrive at something affordable and wantable.

m.jpg
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for the tips!

I've taken them to heart in working on my new drawing - I may get back to the elevator, but probably not: drawing all the corrugated metal would be irritating, and you can get a much better corrugated metal appearance by using scale corrugated metal...

But moving on, here's what I've been working on:

sw1-underframe1.png
sw1-underframe1.png (20.32 KiB) Viewed 343 times

sw1-underframe2.png

sw1-underframe3.png

I kinda cheated, using part-plans from an old MR article on (mostly) scratchbuilding an SW1, but it seems to be working. There's still a lot left to do on this, and then the whole body to do, but uploaded this to Shapeways to check, came up as $9.45 CAD in white detail - so looking reasonable.

I'm liking this - it's kinda fun!

I may jump back and forth between this project, a BL2 and a freight car (and I may end up pushing it such that the BL2 is finished first, as I've already got decal artwork drawn up for that!).

Unlike you guys, though, I'm conceptualising these locomotives not as something to become a full-on kit or RTR piece, but something more like a scratchbuilding aid - it'll get me an underframe and a body shell, which then I'll assemble and detail. I'm also doing them to match Pere Marquette/Chesapeake & Ohio units. So short form, I'm doing these as a help to myself to model what I want to model, and if when they're ready, they interest others too, then super! :)
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Not that hard is it :) ?
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Not at all!

Just plenty of pull-my-hair-out moments, like when I turn the model and planes disappear... GRR!!
Marquette

Postby jmass » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 pm

is this something that someone with next to no computer knowledge can learn? it seems extremly complicated. cause i really like to produce something like a dash 8-40 c.but from what im seeing, this looks way out of reach for a simple truckdriver!
jmass

Postby Marquette » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:27 pm

Hey, I've only been doing this for a couple of days! It's not hard once you get the hang of it, and there's all sorts of tutorials around, too. Just download Google Sketchup and get going! :)
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Yup - tons of free tutorials. Many of them are videos so it's super easy to see how it's done. BTW, there is a "pro" or something like that for Sketchup which you have to pay for. Don't get it - you don't need it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:36 am

A thought on printing stuff... I recalled your fortunes with the first underframe, what material was that? WSF? Printing the SW1 frame as it is right now would be around $9 in white detail, around $30 in stainless steel. What do yous think, could the stainless steel work for a chassis? I'm aware of the limits of detail on the stainless process, but maybe?
Marquette

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models