MTB Coupler Topic

Re: Zeuke-TT, what's new?

Postby j p » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:14 pm

MacG wrote:Grab irons, ladders or steps - you know, what I'm meant. English is not my mother language. I need no super detailing, but fine steps are possible. Look at the models from Gold Coast Railways. The bigger problems I see in the MTB-Coupler and its small side shift. If it the same like at the tank cars.

Replace it by Kadee or MTL couplers, problem solved. But replacing the grab irons would be much more work + you'd probably have to repaint the car.
Rob could probably help you with the Kadee couplers next time you order from him.
MTL couplers are available in Germany https://www.rd-hobby.de/de/Catalog/List/1420
(I bought some last time when I was in USA, for 50 cars.)
j p

Postby MacG » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:44 pm

j p wrote:Replace it by Kadee or MTL couplers, problem solved.

Good joke! There isn't an easy way to replace them. Okay, I have modified the holes at all of my GC cars for the MTL couplers, but at MTB is the effort much higher.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby j p » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:27 pm

MacG wrote:
j p wrote:Replace it by Kadee or MTL couplers, problem solved.

Good joke! There isn't an easy way to replace them. Okay, I have modified the holes at all of my GC cars for the MTL couplers, but at MTB is the effort much higher.

1. GoldCoast cars do not need any adjustment for MTL couplers. I have MTL 1025 couplers on all my GC cars with no adjustment to the cars. The only thing I had to do differently was to increase the hole diameter in the coupler and use the same screws as for the GC trucks. That is because GC forgot to make the hole for the coupler suitable for the smaller screw of the MTL couplers.
2. The only thing MTB's cars need is to remove the tiny pin which is there to stop the MTB coupler. But it seems that the manufacturer made it ready for MTL 1025, there is enough space for MTL coupler.
MTL 1015/1016 would not fit. And, of course, you have to drill a hole for the screw if you don't want to glue it.

For those, who prefer Kadee: you have to cut off the coupler box from the car and attach the coupler directly to the frame - same as with Joma tank cars or gondolas.

I would prefer if all manufacturers made their models MTL and Kadee compatible, of course.
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Slightly off topic but, jp perhaps you can post a few pics of the modifications you've made for the various couplers? I find that more helpful than written descriptions.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:01 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Slightly off topic but, jp perhaps you can post a few pics of the modifications you've made for the various couplers? I find that more helpful than written descriptions.

Yes, I'll do that. I can make bad pictures tomorrow (need daylight) or good pictures when I am back at work in 2016.
Please feel free to move it somewhere else.
j p

MTB Coupler Topic

Postby CSD » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:04 pm

Conversation moved from Zeuke TT - What's New?
Mark
//S
CSD

Return to General Discussion