Mounting hole too large on Gold Coast boxcar

Mounting hole too large on Gold Coast boxcar

Postby WillYart » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Someone pointed this problem out in another thread: Mounting hole too large on Gold Coast boxcar subframe.

Here is how I solved the problem. Tapped a piece of styrene and threaded the mounting screw into it. The default screws that come with Microtrains couplers are long enough to do that.

I used a 1027 coupler, which has a boss / post sticking out of the top of the draft box cap, near the mounting hole that goes through the draft box; I drilled a hole in the subframe of the Gold Coast car to accomodate that post.

Thanks to Reibel for providing the missing subframe...whew. Back on track.

Attached photo
Attachments
IMG_3737 (1).JPG
WillYart

Re: Mounting hole too large on Gold Coast boxcar

Postby areibel » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:23 pm

:thumbup:
areibel

Postby MacG » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 am

I had the same problem with the MTL 1015. I use an acrylate resin (PMMA). Cast resin should also work.

First I drill through the hole with a slightly larger drill bit. To remove the paint. The MTL screw comes into an empty MTL coupler housing. Then I add the thick liquid resin to the hole of the bottom and onto the thread pitches. The screw with the housing comes now into the hole. After the resin has hardened, the screw can be unscrewed. The thread in the bottom of the freight car is finished and ready for installing a coupler.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby WillYart » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:56 am

Nice....
WillYart

Return to General Discussion