Motors for TT

Re: Motors for TT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:23 am

krokodil wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:The second hour of testing will see how warm it gets at full powerpack Voltage of 17.10 VDC.

Ah, the song of a small motor at a constant speed...

Do you want to kill your motor? I would not recommend any motor of this size to run on 17 V. Where did you get this value? Even if you run digital you should reduce the track voltage to about 14-15 V to run on safe side.

This is one of the biggest misinterpretation of the standards (my friend runs a service for model trains and almost everyday there is a damaged motor just because of wrong voltage. Sometimes he needs even my help to fix those small models.

In this case, yes, I was trying to see what over-voltage would do to the motor for an hour, I was trying to see what would it take to kill the sample motor.

The value was taken from a Bachmann power pack that I got with an N scale train set, at full power.

For actual layout use, I use a MRC Tech 7 DualPower that puts out 14VDC at full throttle. .
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConnRiver » Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 am

AstroGoat, hey!

Are you interested in testing another motor? If so, I'll mail you a couple. (I'm ignorant about power and motors at this point, so don't know how to test them, yet.) IIRC, these motors were recommended by a rail group, maybe UK? Usually, I make a note about each purchase, can't find one. I'll look in my credit card purchases.

I've got a package of 10 motors (cost me only a few bucks):

Mitsumi
P/N qk1-5680
M15N-3 R-A124

Motor body: .745"L x .608"H x .480"W; shafts .060" diameter.
mm: 18.92L x 15.44H x 12.19W; shafts 15.24 diameter.

Spec sheet for M15N-3 series:
http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog ... 5n_3_e.pdf

Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Last edited by ConnRiver on Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Bernd » Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Hey Brian,

Nice looking motors. Specs are good looking too. 28V max, quite high. RPM looks good, wonder if that's at 28 volts or the rated 8 volts. I wouldn't run this motor at the higher voltage than 12 to 14. May run at 28 volts but I think the brushes would burn out after a while.

You miss placed the decimal point. It should read 1.5 mm shaft according to the spec sheet.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:19 pm

For those that are curious, the package of motors for my order of 10 motors took 11 days from date of purchase to date of delivery in travel time.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm

ConnRiver wrote:AstroGoat, hey!

Are you interested in testing another motor? If so, I'll mail you a couple. (I'm ignorant about power and motors at this point, so don't know how to test them, yet.) IIRC, these motors were recommended by a rail group, maybe UK? Usually, I make a note about each purchase, can't find one. I'll look in my credit card purchases.

I've got a package of 10 motors (for only a few bucks):

Mitsumi
P/N qk1-5680
M15N-3 R-A124

Motor body: .745"L x .608"H x .480"W; shafts .060" diameter.
mm: 18.92L x 15.44H x 12.19W; shafts 15.24 diameter.

Spec sheet for M15N-3 series:
http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog ... 5n_3_e.pdf

Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I am almost always interested in testing stuff out!

I will send you a PM.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConnRiver » Thu May 17, 2018 9:32 am

Bernd wrote:Hey Brian,

Nice looking motors. Specs are good looking too. 28V max, quite high. RPM looks good, wonder if that's at 28 volts or the rated 8 volts. I wouldn't run this motor at the higher voltage than 12 to 14. May run at 28 volts but I think the brushes would burn out after a while.

You miss placed the decimal point. It should read 1.5 mm shaft according to the spec sheet.

Bernd

Thanks for the feedback, Bernd. So, do I understand correctly, the 28V max is not a problem because the motor would be run at 12V-14V?

I decided I wouldn't pay much attention to motors until I reached a point where it became necessary. I've reached that point, so I better learn what I can (I'll see if I can find a DC motor primer somewhere to study ;-)

And, thank you for catching the shaft diameter error.

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Bernd » Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 pm

ConnRiver wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Bernd. So, do I understand correctly, the 28V max is not a problem because the motor would be run at 12V-14V?

I decided I wouldn't pay much attention to motors until I reached a point where it became necessary. I've reached that point, so I better learn what I can (I'll see if I can find a DC motor primer somewhere to study ;-)

And, thank you for catching the shaft diameter error.

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA

I don't think voltage is that much of a problem. If the motor has to work and draw more amperage, in other words if it's under load, it'll get warm or even hot. You'll then have the insulation break down and short out the windings. A stall test can be done by placing an amp meter in line with the motor to see how many amps it will draw. I would think that motor should work find of a TT engine.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Point of advice on the motors: when shortening the shafts, use a Dremel-type tool with a cutoff wheel to remove the excess shaft length, don't use a set of Xuron cutters, as that will ruin the Xuron tool.

I found that out the hard way today!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:10 am

I will go ahead and create a thread under the "Builder's Corner", documenting my progress in refitting the MTB SWs with these motors, that way this thread can be kept for the discussion of motors for TT scale..
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to General Discussion