Motors for Models

Motors for Models

Postby Bernd » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:51 pm

In the December Model Railroad Craftsman is an ad for American Scale Models. It looks like a new vendor to me. I checked out their website and discovered they carried motors for possible use in TT scale. Check it out if your looking for motors to power your project or upgrading an engine. I signed up for an account and sent a message to the owner that I'm also interested in TT scale.

http://americanscalemodels.com/HO/HO_Detail_Parts/Can_Motors-Parts

Bernd
Bernd

Re: Motors for Models

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:53 pm

Interesting - thx.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:57 pm

Bill Davis has been around for a while in O Scale and seems to be well thought of and is considered reliable.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Bernd » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Bill Davis has been around for a while in O Scale and seems to be well thought of and is considered reliable.

This is the first time I've heard of American Scale Models. I checked the November issue of RMC and there was no ad. Apparently this is his first ad in RMC. Nice to see he's producing detail parts. Now if only it would include a line for TT. I'd like to see some scale wheels sets for steamers. At least then it wouldn't be to hard to scratchbuild a steamer.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Richard-B » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:20 am

Bernd wrote:<snip> Nice to see he's producing detail parts. Now if only it would include a line for TT. I'd like to see some scale wheels sets for steamers.
Actually...
I don't think he is actually 'producing' brass parts...
"Providing genuine original OEM brass detail parts and accessories. Featuring Overland, Boo-Rim,OCS and others."
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bernd » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Richard-B wrote:
Bernd wrote:<snip> Nice to see he's producing detail parts. Now if only it would include a line for TT. I'd like to see some scale wheels sets for steamers.
Actually...
I don't think he is actually 'producing' brass parts...
"Providing genuine original OEM brass detail parts and accessories. Featuring Overland, Boo-Rim,OCS and others."

Yes your right Richard. I meant more like selling parts. Just got a bit excited to the fact I can now gather parts to detail my HO scale "Yardbird" engine that at one time had a detail kit.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Andy Carlson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:24 pm

My experience with small motors (back to the Nn3 days of re-motoring Marklin Z scale mechanisms) led me to the realization that the conventional wisdom of "Can motors are vastly superior to open frame motors" was often wrong. Let me explain: The' principal of physics which applies to small electric motors is that scaling down dimensions reduces components to the cube. This means that a motor half the length, width and height of the fine HO can motor will have 1/8th the mass of the larger motor. Years ago I wondered why Marklin motors were rated at only 9V. I had a source for warranty return Marklin motors so I decided to re-wind an armature to a nominal 12V. rating. Guess what? The size wire needed to get the correct number of windings (which is the function of motor speed at certain voltages) was so small that it would be a Kodak "Flash Cube" should the motor stall. I am convinced that Marklin built their motors to have the smallest wire which would be robust enough for model locomotive applications. That result had the motors spinning well past the destruction critical point at voltages above 9V.

When Samhongsa first started making brass N scale diesels they equipped the engines with high quality open frame motors. Several reasons:
1st was the armature could be the full size of the width of the motor, unlike can motors where the armature is smaller in diameter by 2X the thickness of the magnets. Since the total number of windings is important, the larger open frame armatures allowed larger and more robust wire.
2nd was that the open frame allowed much better heat dissipation so motors would run much cooler at max current situations-great for longevity.
3rd reason was that the larger armatures would spin slower at the operating range of the motor. this is a useful trait for model locomotives. The old Sagami 12mm cylindrical motor revs something like 30K+ RPMs at 12 V. Most open frames are below one half of that. This trait means that very low gear ratios are unnecessary.

My friend, who was a pioneering Nn3 builder, purchased quite a few high quality open frame motors years ago. Mashima and Tenshodo both used high quality magnets, brushes and bearings. I got most of his stock of these motors upon his retirement from model building, a life-time supply!

There are some online suppliers of these motors. A google search should show some results, I am sure.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
Andy Carlson

Postby krokodil » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Excellent and correct interpretation! I collected the same experiences, when MDC replaced the old open frame motors with the high quality can motors. They were very dangerous in kits, as one always need some extra time (and power) for wear in. The can motors were very often overheated.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Return to General Discussion