Motor Wiring

Motor Wiring

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Can someone tell me what the reasons for the various coils etc between the rails and motor terminals are for?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Motor Wiring

Postby railtwister » Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Can someone tell me what the reasons for the various coils etc between the rails and motor terminals are for?

Alex,

On what loco? Locos made and sold in Europe have special circuitry (usually coils and capacitors) to curb radio interference, but locos made and sold in USA usually don't have this. Some locos made in other countries for the US market may have these circuits, but many modelers in the US remove them, especially when installing decoders.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Aha! Perfect answer. I couldn't for the life of me think of what purpose they would serve to the model. Obviously none - to the model :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Wed May 25, 2011 12:31 am

Digitrax instructions for installing decoder say --'Some locomotives employ filter capacitors for RFI suppression in the locomotive wiring. These may cause problems with Supersonic decoders and non-decoder analog operation on DCC. This capacitor should be removed.' Digitrax assumes the reader knows what RFI means. Also I've read recommendations elsewhere to remove capacitors and coils because the decoder does the job.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 25, 2011 1:23 am

I knew about removing them for decoders which made me wonder why they're there from the beginning. I couldn't come up with a good electrical / motor performance reason so that's why asked. I had no idea it was a "regulation" to reduce radio interference. Thanks for the answers gents.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dirk65 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:39 am

I read some ware the coils fitted in older Berliner Bahn locos are called chokes and are there to increase the l flux rating meaning strengthening fields and making the motor run smother and more balanced power curve
Please don't think i am a know-all It is something i read because i also wanted an answer to the same question
At the moment I am converting a Berliner Bahn CZ T334 to Dcc and are using a Ct electronics DCX75D decoder and it just fits in the chassie ware the chokes were fitted ,So i remove them and the capacitor because i had been told the same answer as above
Hope this helps some of you dirk65
dirk65

Postby krokodil » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:13 am

Both coils and capacitor are for electrical noise (RFI) supression ( try to listen to AM radio close to your pike :-) ). Additionally those parts reduce the sparks in the motor, ie. the commutator will last longer. There are also in US some FCC rules for electrical smog. All this noise goes into the rails ( in DC) and will be radiated over the tracks into the air.
In case of DCC the motor is disconnected from its antena ( rails), ie. the RFI is reduced to the short cables between motor and decoder. The capacitor should be removed for DCC as it can influence the performance of decoders ( especially with feedback circuitry (load compensation).
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Return to Electric / DCC