More Shapeways stuff-

More Shapeways stuff-

Postby areibel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Check THESE out! The KM ML4000 was already done, but now there's an SD45 and an SDL39!
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3d_world ... on=1%3A120
areibel

Re: More Shapeways stuff-

Postby j p » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:51 pm

They look good on Shapeways pictures.
The only minor problem is in very limited use for SDL39 - it would be only for the Milwaukee Road, SOO Line, Wisconsin Central and Fepasa.
The use and the market for SD45 would be better if it was not already available in TT as a kit or RTR from Art & Detail.
I hope that the designer only rescaled it to TT and did not waste too much time on it. If someone does not like the shell of SD45 from Art & Detail then this Shapeways model would give a possibility for replacement.

Please don't interpret this in a negative way. I am happy that some people care to rescale their models to TT and this designer has some more interesting models available in other scales.
j p

Postby areibel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:24 pm

j p wrote:Please don't interpret this in a negative way.

Then why even post it?
I know of at least one TT Milwaukee modeler that will be happy for an SDL39, maybe some of the SOO fans will be happy too?
And isn't a better TT model of an SD45 a good reason for having a different one? The A&D model is the same as the Norkin etch, and both have some problems that are hard to fix. And they stand out to anyone that has seen real SD45's (or even if you compare it to other models).
If you are happy with the A&D one, that's fine. I am waiting on an order from Michael right now, I placed it in June and he says it will ship soon, so I can finish one SD from Norkin, but I might look closely at the Shapeways one before I build a second one.
areibel

Postby j p » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Perhaps you can use the A&D parts which are not included in the Shapeways model? Could you make a review when you receive it? Both the A&D and the Shapeways model? That would be very helpful.

Yes, the SDL39 can find some customers - limited to those 4 railroads.
We'll see how many SOO fans are there, SOO decals for 40' AAR boxcar are ready.
j p

Postby jmass » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Any one who is into running fictional shortlines like myself can run any loco so i would say more power to anyone who spends the time and money to create locos and freight cars in tt scale. i am just curious as to what chassis one would use for the SD 39.
jmass

Postby Bernd » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:14 pm

jmass wrote: i am just curious as to what chassis one would use for the SD 39.

A scratchbuilt one, perhaps?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:05 pm

I remember an article on SDL-39's in perhaps Rail Model Journal??, at any rate, I believe the chassis from an SD-40 with type B Blombergs should be correct.
Tom Dempsey

Postby areibel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:44 pm

I found this about the trucks-
http://wc2scale.org/index.php/articles/ ... -586-sdl39
It looks like a regular SD style Flexicoil will be a little too long, the SDL truck is about a foot and a half shorter. I don't know if that would throw the overall look off or not.
areibel

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Excellent illustration of what can be done if we stop sorta' guessing and typing and actually do our research. Thumbs up Al.
Tom Dempsey

Postby areibel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Yeah, it's already got me wondering if there's a Tilllig model with similar axle spacing! Or maybe even a Bull Ant, he does some Australian HO that supposedly uses the same (EMD Export) truck.
Oh Great, another project!
areibel

Next

Return to General Discussion