More from the board?

Board rules and such. Read before posting.

Re: More from the board?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:26 am

Here is an idea: As there are a number of custom made cars out there, perhaps there should be sections for North American Prototype Custom jobs, German Custom jobs, Russian/Soviet Custom jobs, and a Misc. Custom Jobs to cover other locales/countries.

That way the model photos, at least as a library type aspect, are all grouped together in one location, and active/ongoing projects can still be in the Models section of the site.

For example, I have a 4 wheel Rock Island bobber caboose that someone custom made that I am pleased as punch with, and would like to put photos of it into the model library.

I am sure most everyone out here has custom cars and locos that they could put into the Model Library, especially those of us dealing with HP Products and "HP Compatible" trains.

r/

ET1
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:Here is an idea: As there are a number of custom made cars out there, perhaps there should be sections for North American Prototype Custom jobs, German Custom jobs, Russian/Soviet Custom jobs, and a Misc. Custom Jobs to cover other locales/countries.

That way the model photos, at least as a library type aspect, are all grouped together in one location, and active/ongoing projects can still be in the Models section of the site.

For example, I have a 4 wheel Rock Island bobber caboose that someone custom made that I am pleased as punch with, and would like to put photos of it into the model library.

I am sure most everyone out here has custom cars and locos that they could put into the Model Library, especially those of us dealing with HP Products and "HP Compatible" trains.

r/

ET1

Actually, I've been kicking that around in my head for a while. The only reason (a big one) for not doing that is that the Models / Prototypes forum was pretty much set up for that reason. For example, CSD's Bobina project.

The library is meant to be a reference to past and current models that people may have access to.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:32 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
BTTB Fan wrote:I am thinking it might be a good idea to create a dedicated place (foum with sub-forums?) for manufacturer-specific information, like specs, etc.

Dude, kick Haggis idea. I can't believe the speed at which we're adding models :o

I figured, with the door closed, opening a window might do the trick ;) (sorry, everyone, for the "inside" joke).
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:28 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:Here is an idea: As there are a number of custom made cars out there...

Not having had enough cofee, my intitial thought was that you were talking about automobiles, which made me think about possibly asking ConducTTor to either set up a separate area, or to confirm that it is acceptable to post non-loco, non-rolling stocl, TT items, including track, autos, buildings, etc. Boss, what say you?
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:48 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:Here is an idea: As there are a number of custom made cars out there...

Not having had enough cofee, my intitial thought was that you were talking about automobiles, which made me think about possibly asking ConducTTor to either set up a separate area, or to confirm that it is acceptable to post non-loco, non-rolling stocl, TT items, including track, autos, buildings, etc. Boss, what say you?

Well, we have Auhagen so buildings are a go - we can add more building manufacturers. Autos - give me the manufacturers....
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:10 pm

So far, I have not paid that much attention to autos. Tillig and Auhagen have some, and categories are there. I am not sure who was making those LKW that come both separately, and in BTTB/Tillig combinations, and I am not sure who makes/made Tatra tanker pieces. Tomy/Tomica line of diecast cars hase some pieces that are either bang on 1:120, or very close (to within 10%). The vehicles are all Japanese prototype, but I am seeing a number of Hino trucks on Canadian rodas nowadays, so, it's not totally useless stuff...
Search for Tomica and 1/120 on eBay and you will find a Toyota forklift and Nissan diesels. Their Hino trucks are also close to 1:120, but buses are too small, and passenger cars too large.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:20 pm

I was referring to railcars.

Although an automotive section could work as well, although that would probally be better off as a single section, with different threads referring to the type of car models, vice manufacturer. I am sure that there are far fewer manufacturers of TT automobiles than of trains.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:35 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:...I am sure that there are far fewer manufacturers of TT automobiles than of trains.

That would be an interesting bet! ;) While there is no doubt that there is only a handful of "intentional" TT scale auto manufacturers, I would not be surprised if there are actually plenty of manufacturers that have some pieces in 1:120 scale, never even suspecting that the scale has a name and a bunch of nuts doing railtroad moddeling in it! My Tomica reference is one example - they make models that fit in a standard-size "matchbox", which results in scales of 1:80 to 1:160 for different vehicles, and there happens to be a bunch that are 1:120...
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Well, Tillig and a couple of other rolling stock makers do have some road vehicles - those would have to go under the current Tillig, etc. forums.

Something like Tomica will require it's own new forum.

The general rule of all these model forums is:

A list of models made by a MANUFACTURER which are 1:120 scale.
What exactly the models are does not matter. Who the manufacturer is does not matter - to be considered a manufacturer, products have to be (or have been) available for purchase by the general public.

A big reason in mind for this whole 'library' is for current and future TTers to be able to look up a product for potential purchase or to get more information about a product they already own.

For the above reasons I don't want to do the same type of thing for custom jobs as Sailor suggested. Again, one of the biggest reasons for having the Models / Prototypes forum is just that - a place to show custom jobs.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:44 pm

We are on the same wavelenght. Here, for example, is one of the candidates for Tomica forum:
tomica_12_FD200.jpg
tomica_12_FD200.jpg (43.91 KiB) Viewed 720 times
Alexei
BTTB Fan

PreviousNext

Return to About The Board