More about TTNut Module Standards

More about TTNut Module Standards

Postby railtwister » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Hey Alex,

Wait a minute, not so fast!

Before you completely close the topic on TT module standards, and say we have no US TT modular standards, have you forgotten the "TT Tracks" Table Top modules (using Tilling/Kato "bedding track") that Bill Dixon not only developed, but built modules to, and also has used to display TT at several train shows in the Pacific Northwest?

I built some too, mostly so that I can have a small TT test oval at home that can be easily broken down, stored on a shelf, and set back up with a minimum amount of time & effort. They may not ever get to be as popular or impressive as Ntrak is in N scale (or even N scale's T-Trak), but they are still a pretty good way to get TT in front of the viewing public at train shows. This summer in Atlanta at the National Train Show, you will also get a chance to see the similar T-Trak Table Top modules in N scale, which may give even more insight as to the possibilities.

If you really think we need bigger, heavier, more awkward modules that require setting up on their own legs, more room to store, and have been adopted from existing European standards, that's OK too, I see no reason we can't have both. I especially see no reason why we shouldn't officially recognize the TT-Tracks Table Top modules for what they are, a very user-friendly TT scale module system.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Re: More about TTNut Module Standards

Postby CSD » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 pm

If you don't mind my interjection. We are not closing the discussion on TT modules, but rather closing the TTnut standard specifically. The reason for this is that it was never fully realized. Promoting it as "the standard" was misleading. In my opinion, "a standard" will be set by whomever can convince others to do the same thing and bring them together. Being that we are an open forum, not a club, there is no obligation by any of the participants to adhere to any kind of standard what so ever. As I mentioned to the other moderators and our illustrious leader: promote everything; commit to nothing. There is no reason that multiple options couldn't exist for everyones modeling taste.
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: More about TTNut Module Standards

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:09 pm

As Mark mentioned, we're just killing the TT Nut standard that we developed - no one's using it. There are alternatives which may (are?) be better. We can discuss any and all standards - again as Mark said, this is a public forum.

Bill's TT-Tracks are awesome in my opinion.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to Layouts / Track Plans