Module Standard Poll

Module standard to use for TT scale.

Current NMRA standard with small updates as defined in "Hmmm.." topic.
13%
Single main standard of the AKTT type (refer to "LINKS" for AKTT).
33%
New "TT Nut" standard defined by us here.
53%

Total votes : 15

Module Standard Poll

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:28 pm

This is a general question that I'm posting now because I'd like to get a decision made on the module standards we want to use so those wanting to build for NMRA's 75th can get started. I can't add a poll to the "Hmmmm..." topic at this point so the poll gets it's own.

Before voting, keep in mind that we would potentially be introducing a new standard and the impact that may have in the future.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Module Standard Poll

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:24 pm

Since it has literally been decades since the NMRA has made it's rules for TT scale, it would behoove us to modify those standards to fit our needs.

There are many, many variants of HO scale modules, while there is only one listed for TT. I am not saying that the NMRA is bad or anything like that (if I thought that, I would not be a member), But with the emphasis on HO, and N, we may need to take our own lead to a point.

A single main line seems to be a little limiting for modules, while 3 lines can really eat up 1:120 real estate. A double main line would be the most flexible of options, as it would allow for continuous running, whether it be in an oval type setup, or a dogbone type setup.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Here is an idea on how to make a line of interconnecting 2 main line modules into a dogbone setup.

Yes, I suck at track layout programs.....

Modules.jpg
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:50 pm

^^^^ Exactly.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 pm

ide be more concernd with the rolling stock your gonna display, not like theres much in the way of modern american prototype out there. so i would think a lot of european stock. unless somebody has a stash we dont know about!
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:17 pm

jmass wrote:ide be more concernd with the rolling stock your gonna display, not like theres much in the way of modern american prototype out there. so i would think a lot of european stock. unless somebody has a stash we dont know about!

I'll leave that sbject to the "Hmmm...." topic. First the standards - if we can't put anything together, we won't be running ANY stock :shock:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

I have quite a bit of American prototype engines and cars.

At present, I have 3 HP products 0-6-0 engine, although one is being converted to a 2-6-0 due to damage to the pilot, a HP products 2-8-0, a HP products 4-4-2, a HP products DMU car with dummy combine, and a Possum Valley 25T switcher. There are parts that I plan on turning into an American prototype engine, one of a frame that is a 0-6-2 that will later be a 2-6-2, and spare HP products boiler and cab castings.

Then there are the possible conversions of my 1/120 Lionel GP7/9 Chessie System engine, and Norfolk&Western J-Class 4-8-4.

Then there are the passenger (almost a dozen) and freight cars (almost 4 dozen), most of them by HP products, some are kits, some are fully built up, and a scratch built High-Cube boxcar that I am working on.

US Prototype? That should not be a big problem.
Last edited by ConducTTor on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:32 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:I have quite a bit of American prototype engines and cars.

At present, I have 3 HP products 0-6-0 engine, although one is being converted to a 2-6-0 due to damage to the pilot, a HP products 2-8-0, a HP products 4-4-2, a HP products DMU car with dummy combine, and a Possum Valley 25T switcher. There are parts that I plan on turning into an American prototype engine, one of a frame that is a 0-6-2 that will later be a 2-6-2, and spare HP products boiler and cab castings.

Then there are the possible conversions of my 1/120 Lionel GP7/9 Chessie System engine, and Norfolk&Western J-Class 4-8-4.

Then there are the passenger (almost a dozen) and freight cars (almost 4 dozen), most of them by HP products, some are kits, some are fully built up, and a scratch built High-Cube boxcar that I am working on.

US Prototype? That should not be a big problem.

Let's move all prototype discussion here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162. This topic is strictly for hammering out a module standard.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

I voted for the new standard, although the NMRA standard is workable with respect to the double (4" and 5.7" offset) mainline. I have been modifying my module plans to see the implications of this offset, and as far as the straight modules are concerned, I would have preferred 5.7" and 7.4" combination, as it allows for comfortable placement of either 2 additional sidings on the module front (at 2.3" and 4") or a single siding with an engine shed or other maintenance structure(s). After checking the 4' turn-around modules, it looks like the 5.7" offset line will also fit with a minimum 353mm radius. I am going to finish and post tonight my new 4-module double-oval mock-up, and try to also do the 6-module dogbone version.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:50 am

One thing I like about a new standard actually has to do with the offset. I was thinking about having the main lines run straight down the middle - thus making the modules reversible (with no backdrop).
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion