Module Standard Poll

Module standard to use for TT scale.

Current NMRA standard with small updates as defined in "Hmmm.." topic.
13%
Single main standard of the AKTT type (refer to "LINKS" for AKTT).
33%
New "TT Nut" standard defined by us here.
53%

Total votes : 15

Re: Module Standard Poll

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:18 am

ConducTTor wrote:
CSD wrote:Also, absolutely NO aluminum wire! If you have some left over pieces from your 1970's era home renovation you can chuck it in the garbage. COPPER ONLY!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHHHAAAA!!!!!

I concur.

Not only that, but aluminum wire tastes nasty. :oops:

I have a few single pole switches and from the 1930s that are still in pretty good shape that I got from the house I lived in in GA, when we upgraded the wiring. (The only difference really between them and the newer stuff is the profile and the lack of a grounding screw.) I have used those on a various layouts over the years, mainly for siding block control, as there is an enjoyable snap-click sound made as the switch moves from one lock position to another.

With those I had a few switch covers from the 1930s that were made of Bakelite, and they looked nice, until Nicholle broke them. :x
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:26 pm

For those of us that can't easily convert decimal measurements to fraction, such as myself, I found a conversion page:
http://www.seoconsultants.com/charts/inches-decimal/print.asp
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:33 pm

CSD wrote:b@$t@rds

I think we're all adults here. Therefore, the bad word filter is not on. No need to go through all the '..@#$%^&*.....................'
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Ok. New and improved. Let me know if you see any mistakes or have any further suggestions. I think I will add some layout and basic pictorial diagrams such as "Wiring the Tracks", "Popular Turnouts", "Control Panel Made Easy" and other hot topics as a supplement to this drawing.
TT Module General Wiring Standard Drawing.pdf
(134.53 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

ConducTTor wrote:
CSD wrote:b@$t@rds

I think we're all adults here. Therefore, the bad word filter is not on. No need to go through all the '..@#$%^&*.....................'

Ok. Open season on the cursing.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby BTTB Fan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:41 pm

CSD wrote:Ok. New and improved. Let me know if you see any mistakes or have any further suggestions.

Looks great! The only comment is that I would remove the "+" and "-" from the AC source box and replace them with a "~" ;)
I was also thinking of the 22AWG minimum on the feeders. Do people have any experience with going with 24 AWG instead (I know, I know, I was the one who said 22)? The reason I am asing is that I was considering using the CAT5 cable and RJ45 connectors for connecting the modules to their control panels, and CAT5 cables are 24AWG...
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:28 pm

I am mister overkill when it comes to wire size so I'll stay out of this one.....
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:10 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I am mister overkill when it come to wire size so I'll stay out of this one.....

Hehehe! After looking into this a bit more, I realized that "trunking" 2 of AWG 24 wires produces AWG 21 equivalent. So, AWG 22 standard for track feeders is fine!
My current thinking for the module to control panel interface is a 6-port RJ45 wall-plate with different-colored Cat5 jacks, which should provide more than enough wires for all of the track sections and switches on a single module.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby TTSMR » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:22 pm

<<<@#$%^&*>>> ???

Is that German!?

TTSMR

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:25 pm

TTSMR wrote:<<<@#$%^&*>>> ???

Is that German!?

French.
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:34 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:Hehehe! After looking into this a bit more, I realized that "trunking" 2 of AWG 24 wires produces AWG 21 equivalent. So, AWG 22 standard for track feeders is fine!
My current thinking for the module to control panel interface is a 6-port RJ45 wall-plate with different-colored Cat5 jacks, which should provide more than enough wires for all of the track sections and switches on a single module.

I took a look at the DCC specs and the NMRA recommends wires of 18 to 24 AWG for track feeders as long as they are less than 18". With additional feeders every 3' I think 24AWG is no problem. They do tend to lean toward a 12AWG for the bus, but with the use of 15A receptacles I don't see the point. We can get a 35' parallel bus run with only 5% signal loss with 14AWG.
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion