Module Standard Poll

Module standard to use for TT scale.

Current NMRA standard with small updates as defined in "Hmmm.." topic.
13%
Single main standard of the AKTT type (refer to "LINKS" for AKTT).
33%
New "TT Nut" standard defined by us here.
53%

Total votes : 15

Re: Module Standard Poll

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:20 pm

At least this is one of the least restrictive items, so an immediate vote on a standard size is not needed, at least I think so.

Painting a backdrop, or even using some of those false front things that they make for N scale would work well, in sort of a forced perspective thing that if done right, can make the module seem a little deeper than just 2'.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby TTSMR » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:18 pm

I'd kinda like to see 12" so we can have some mountan passes and trestles and bridges in the scenes.

Don

TTSMR

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:27 pm

At the risk of sounding like I have a split personality (the ONLY mental condition that my old PCM has not tried to "diagnose" me with by the way), I asked Nicholle what her thoughts were on the backdrop, and told her the range of 8"-14", and she said that she would rather have 14", as it would give more space to paint stuff on, and would work better with hills and mountains.

So I guess I will change my vote to 14" to match Nicholle's input.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:36 pm

We are going to have to wire these things somehow, so I've come up with a standard that will be user friendly to all and includes everyones suggestions. The materials are all readily available at electronics stores (I will post specific part examples with the standard later). The circuit layouts adhere to popular modeling practices and control wiring schematics. The interface is graphical for user compatibility. Please note that the drawing is not complete i.e. no wiring sizes. I will add these and other details when I have more time to model circuit loading and part availability. Working in electrical utilities has made reading these kind of drawings second nature to me so if clarification is required on the details please let me know.
Wiring Standard.pdf
(48.05 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

As far as the backdrop... Whatever you guys like.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm going to show a little split personality as well. I think having just a minimum for height is fine. I'm not sure it makes sense to force everyone to build to a specific height. Obviously certain things need to be written in stone like track height, offset, etc. But I believe we have to allow for a maximum amount of freedom on non-crucial things.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Wiring standard draft looks great, CSD! A few questions/clarifications;
1) Is here a particular reason to gor with 12VDC instead of, say, 18-19VAC for the auxillary power bus?
2) My assumption is that you are going with the standard household polarized outlets? Should we add grounding (3-prong)as option, considering standard outlets already have it?
3) On the wire gauge, I am thinking minimum 14 for the main, and minimum 22 (or should it be 18?) for the track feeders to accommodate DCC?

I am almost done framing my first module! The timing is perfect! :D
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby CSD » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:01 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:Wiring standard draft looks great, CSD! A few questions/clarifications;
1) Is here a particular reason to gor with 12VDC instead of, say, 18-19VAC for the auxillary power bus?
2) My assumption is that you are going with the standard household polarized outlets? Should we add grounding (3-prong)as option, considering standard outlets already have it?
3) On the wire gauge, I am thinking minimum 14 for the main, and minimum 22 (or should it be 18?) for the track feeders to accommodate DCC?

I am almost done framing my first module! The timing is perfect! :D

I will answer in order:

1) The switch machines I'm using are at 9-12VDC. Some other of the auxiliary devices are also polarity sensitive and most other things like lights will work AC or DC. However; adding an AC bus is no problem. It will accommodate everyones switch machines, aux devices etc. I will add it to the standard. Pink and purple bus?
2) Yes. The ground pin will remain unused, however. I want to keep the buses completely independent so that wiring and isolation is strait forward. Keep in mind that if you are using twin receptacles you will need split units (like the ones in kitchens) as the standard ones are in parallel. By using these we can easily add the above AC bus.
3) Also yes. That is exactly what I'm using at home. I was worried about voltage drop over long distances but with 14AWG it should not be a problem. 22AWG for the individual feeders will be fine too.

To save some money on wires I will not use white or gray in the standard. You can buy it all in one of these colours and then use shrink tubing, tags, or permanent markers to identify the them (or you can buy a bunch of different colours, whatever).

Also, absolutely NO aluminum wire! If you have some left over pieces from your 1970's era home renovation you can chuck it in the garbage. COPPER ONLY! Sorry if this offends anyone.

I will make the changes soon.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:18 pm

CSD wrote:Also, absolutely NO aluminum wire! If you have some left over pieces from your 1970's era home renovation you can chuck it in the garbage. COPPER ONLY!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHHHAAAA!!!!!

I concur.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Great, thanks for the answers!
CSD wrote:1) The switch machines I'm using are at 9-12VDC. Some other of the auxiliary devices are also polarity sensitive and most other things like lights will work AC or DC. However; adding an AC bus is no problem. It will accommodate everyones switch machines, aux devices etc. I will add it to the standard. Pink and purple bus?

Great, addind the A/C bus sounds good! Pink and purple is fine. I am going to use Tortiose machines as well, but i am thinking of trying their half-rectified A/C option, with 2 LEDs added in series with the motor on each side (3rd/4th wiring option in thier manual). That should work with 18VAC...

CSD wrote:2) ... Keep in mind that if you are using twin receptacles you will need split units (like the ones in kitchens) as the standard ones are in parallel. By using these we can easily add the above AC bus.

Yes, of course. Most regular twin receptacles are converted to split version by snipping/sawing the connectors on either side.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby CSD » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:08 am

BTTB Fan wrote:Yes, of course. Most regular twin receptacles are converted to split version by snipping/sawing the connectors on either side.

Yeah, I kind of figured you knew that already. I've got a few of those old b@$t@rds that you just stick the wire into and then can't get it out (that I have removed from my home). Just in case someone was eyeballing them I figured I'd mention something.
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion