Module Standard Poll

Module standard to use for TT scale.

Current NMRA standard with small updates as defined in "Hmmm.." topic.
13%
Single main standard of the AKTT type (refer to "LINKS" for AKTT).
33%
New "TT Nut" standard defined by us here.
53%

Total votes : 15

Re: Module Standard Poll

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:16 pm

areibel wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (snort), huh?
Nails? Someone building something?

I am. To prevent hijacking this thread, I started one regarding construction of modules viewtopic.php?f=5&t=201.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:47 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:
areibel wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (snort), huh?
Nails? Someone building something?

I am. To prevent hijacking this thread, I started one regarding construction of modules viewtopic.php?f=5&t=201.

Moved to the Layouts / Track Plans forum -
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:59 pm

Okee-Dokee. I was not sure which form to put those photos under, so I flipped a coin, guess I should have picked heads to be the "Layouts" forum...
AstroGoat760

Postby BTTB Fan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:34 pm

ConducTTor wrote:It's looking like 172mm. BTTB Fan? TTSMR? Anyone else?

Already re-designed my 180o modules to use 172mm. Had to lose cross-overs, but that's life... :D
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:47 pm

CSD wrote:Before we get to far into construction, we should decide what the attachment between modules is so that rigid materials are linked. Where the bolts or clamps, etc go will determine a lot in the construction of the base and scenery. Sailors above construction is fine, however; thickness of the foam installed will determine where the wood member aligns with its neighbor. Some kind of basic side profile is needed. I know that someone posted something in the other thread, is that what we're going with?

- The above is taken from a different thread (http://ttnut.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=201) -

I've thought about the same thing. I've been trying to come up with a way where a standardized attachment method can be applied to modules of different builds. One thought is that the attachment points are part of the legs. That way we can say, ok attachments need to be made 36" above the floor - and that's it. This would allow the actual construction method of the module base to be completely up to the builder.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TTSMR » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:16 pm

Dont most modules have the top of the foam baseboard even with the top of the 1x4s?

TTSMR

Postby CSD » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:26 pm

TTSMR wrote:Dont most modules have the top of the foam baseboard even with the top of the 1x4s?

I my case, no. I'm going to build mine with open grid benchwork (much like my train set viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156) and just skin the sides with 1/8" ply. I want to keep it light for airline transport. However; I do want to leave rigid materials at the connection point for a solid join. I don't really care how they join, I just want to alter my design to accommodate the other units and suggest that the connection not be too close to the level of the track for some hilly scenery.

ConducTTor wrote:I've thought about the same thing. I've been trying to come up with a way where a standardized attachment method can be applied to modules of different builds. One thought is that the attachment points are part of the legs. That way we can say, ok attachments need to be made 36" above the floor - and that's it. This would allow the actual construction method of the module base to be completely up to the builder.

I like it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Guys we obviously still need to do a little work regarding module attachment and wiring but the basics are here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=202. Let me know if I'm missing something, if something is vague / confusing, or if there are mistakes anywhere.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:31 pm

Question regarding the standards thread:

Is a skyboard really needed, and wouldn't the addition of one possibly make the back to back mainline/staging modules a tad bit too wide to interface properly with the 180' modules?
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 pm

I think a skyboard is a good idea to give some separation between the "presentation" and "work" areas. It would have to be included in the 2' depth in order to work with the curved modules.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion