Module Standard Poll

Module standard to use for TT scale.

Current NMRA standard with small updates as defined in "Hmmm.." topic.
13%
Single main standard of the AKTT type (refer to "LINKS" for AKTT).
33%
New "TT Nut" standard defined by us here.
53%

Total votes : 15

Re: Module Standard Poll

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Placing the lines down the middle of the layout would make it hard to make large items like a round house / engine servicing area, unless the mainline tracks follow a pair of S-curves.
Engine module #1.jpg

Although, placing the roundhouse section in the center of the module and running the main lines around the complex would make it a little more interesting by making it possible to have locomotives from both mainlines enter the roundhouse area...
Engine module #2.jpg
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Given a few minutes to think about the layout of the two above modules, I think the second one is better.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:33 pm

That's not really an issue as you could build the module like so:

module.jpg
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Well, the definitve benefits of the 2 alternatives are:
- Symmetric offset - modeules are reversible
- Asymmetrics offset - can do a 4'x4' (double-line) circle, and 4'x8' double-line oval. (see attachment, ignore the buildings and switch details, just look at the general shape)

With respect to the rest of the layout issues, icluding station, industry, yard, roundhouse, etc., at least in my opinion, both options have pros and cons, but either one can be workable. Personally, I like to have a smaller and a larger areas. as opposed to the two equal-sized ones. Same goes for the scenery. One could argue that it is easier to do bridgework and tunnels in the middle of the module (and I would agree). On the other hand, having more space on one side of the track can offer some elevation options that would not be available on the narrower strip of "land".

double_oval.jpg
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:02 pm

I am leaning a bit toward asymetric layouts, just based on the fact that is how most modules, for most gauges is run.
AstroGoat760

Postby TTSMR » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:39 pm

With the main line down the middle you will have to watch for people on BOTH sides of the modules to make sure no one handles the trains or touches the modules.

Also, dont you think we need an area to store trains that arent running? Most modules have a hidden area where members can set rolling stock on and off the tracks without doing it right in front of the public.

See what you think about these ideas.

TT Scale Module Layouts.pdf
Layout Module Suggestions
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
TTSMR

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:18 pm

I like #2 the best.
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:53 pm

I rather like the all around layout of #1, but I have to agree with Angry that #2 would be the most practical. If we did it that way it wouldn't matter how many modules were in between as long as we had the end pieces. If the switches for the maintenance yard could be placed on the end pieces, then we can put the modules in any order as well (as per the attached sideways drawing).
Attachments
[Untitled].pdf
(125.42 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby TTSMR » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:54 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:I like #2 the best.

Any particular reason why you like #2?

Any ideas to make it better?

Don
TTSMR

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:23 pm

The advantage of a straight line layout is that you eliminate the problems with trying to make sure that the modules are all of the same size to match up everything for making a complete circle / "donut".

Then there is the issue of getting inside the "donut". I have a hard time with bending over, and often need help getting back upright if I kneel down, as the hernia can blow out if I try to get up wrong. (if it blows, I am rendered useless for a few days, unless it can be repacked, and even then I can be hard to deal with due to the shaking and possible blackouts from the pain)

Finally, it seems to be a little easier to get a few tables in a row than a large area for a display, as some shows charge per floor space area taken up by the layout. If it is just the row of layouts, typically the area where the operators sit are not counted as "used" floorspace, while the "donut hole" is.

Finally, the number of modules needed for continuous running is halved by the dogbone method, instead of 4 or more curved modules, there are only two roundabout modules needed, although multiple roundabouts could be used, if built right to make a "linked double dogbone"

Those are some of my reasonings for liking #2 better.
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion