Module Electrical Standards

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:31 pm

The connectors between modules was the last sticking point - everything else I think we are happy with. I'm not too concerned with the type of connectors to use but I am against household outlets. I suppose I could contribute by doing a little homework on this. I'll be back..........
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8685
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby CSD » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:39 am

Looks like we will go with the powerpole connectors. Here is a boring video about their installation:

I'll take a closer look at the specs to get the correct part numbers.
Mark
//S
User avatar
CSD
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby CSD » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:49 am

Review of the data indicates that the 30A powerpole is required for the type of wire we are using. Attached is the data sheet:
DS-PP30(6).pdf
(242.25 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Mark
//S
User avatar
CSD
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby CSD » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:51 am

This site has good pictures of how the connector goes together with a description on 2 pages:
http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.html
Mark
//S
User avatar
CSD
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby BTTB Fan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:33 pm

CSD wrote:This site has good pictures of how the connector goes together with a description on 2 pages:
http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.html


:clap: CSD!

Now, could I bother you with one final request - to adjust, if necessary, the spec for bus colours using available sleeve colours of Powerpole connectors, and to spec out "stacking" of the 2 connectors for each bus on the "right" and "left" ends of the module. either "side by side" or "top-bottom" is fine, as long as we are consistent...

I have just sold a couple of collectibe Swiss Army Knives and have cash on Paypal to order a rainbow of Powerpoles! ;)
Alexei
User avatar
BTTB Fan
 
Posts: 677
Images: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:50 pm

I like, I like. :thumbup:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8685
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby CSD » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:33 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:Now, could I bother you with one final request - to adjust, if necessary, the spec for bus colours using available sleeve colours of Powerpole connectors, and to spec out "stacking" of the 2 connectors for each bus on the "right" and "left" ends of the module. either "side by side" or "top-bottom" is fine, as long as we are consistent...


On the spec sheet it indicates that the connectors come in all the colours we're using plus grey, green and white. I was not going to specify that people have to use colour coded connectors as long as it or the wire is identified in some manner i.e. shrink wrap, markers, labels. The reason for this is that many of the bulk packages online only come in one or two colours. So, your choice. Here is what I propose for the stacking: At the ends of the module we leave 6" of slack wire to which the connector is attached. We can leave them individual for the time being and stack them when we get together.
Mark
//S
User avatar
CSD
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby BTTB Fan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Info, primarily for Canadians on the board. I just placed an order for a bunch of 30A Powerpoles with sleeves matching our standard with vendor in Oshawa, Ontario. Price, including shipping was CAD$0.55 each (contact+sleve). They should arrive by the end of the week, and if all is well, I will be able to recommend this vendor.
Better deals can probably be found south of the border, but I prefer to support local enterpreneurs, and at the same time not worry about Customs.
Alexei
User avatar
BTTB Fan
 
Posts: 677
Images: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby CSD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:Info, primarily for Canadians on the board. I just placed an order for a bunch of 30A Powerpoles with sleeves matching our standard with vendor in Oshawa, Ontario. Price, including shipping was CAD$0.55 each (contact+sleve)...


Great! That is about half the price I found.

I chucked together a drawing that should help with the layout of the bus wires and insure that they will align in about the same area.
Bus Wiring Layout Detail 1.jpg
Mark
//S
User avatar
CSD
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:08 pm

CSD wrote:
BTTB Fan wrote:Info, primarily for Canadians on the board. I just placed an order for a bunch of 30A Powerpoles with sleeves matching our standard with vendor in Oshawa, Ontario. Price, including shipping was CAD$0.55 each (contact+sleve)...


Great! That is about half the price I found.

I chucked together a drawing that should help with the layout of the bus wires and insure that they will align in about the same area.

There are actually a number of US vendors on eBay selling 50-PAIR lots (100 pieces: 50 red, 50 black) for US$45-$50 plus shipping, which works out to close to the same price, but Customs is always a gamble.

Thanks for the bus drawing. I am planing to run my bus wires closer to the back of the module in order not to hinder access to switc machines and track-feed relays, but will happily comply with the specified offset at each end of the module, and this is really all that matters!

Back to PowerPole stacking, I would REALLY like for the standard to spec it sooner rather than later. This is because I would like to crimp the wires to contacts in the proper position and not have to twist the wires later. Let's go with side-by side, just decide which end of the module will have "contacts-up", and shich will be "contacts-down". Please, CSD, pretty please!
Alexei
User avatar
BTTB Fan
 
Posts: 677
Images: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Electric / DCC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests