What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Module Electrical Standards

Postby BTTB Fan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:16 pm

I am fine with anything, but ideally, the connectors should be:
a) Easy to find online or a local B&M store;
b) Price per connection point is $5 or less (that is for a complete connection of a bus on 2 modules); and
c) There is a reasonable expectation that the connector type will continue to satisfy both a) and b) criteria for the next 5-10 years.

Right now, PowerPoles seem to be available on eBay for about $1/pair ($2 per connection point), but I am still not sure about the future. I have not yet looked into the cost of SAE connector.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby CSD » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 am

BTTB Fan wrote:I am fine with anything, but ideally, the connectors should be:
a) Easy to find online or a local B&M store;
b) Price per connection point is $5 or less (that is for a complete connection of a bus on 2 modules); and
c) There is a reasonable expectation that the connector type will continue to satisfy both a) and b) criteria for the next 5-10 years.

Right now, PowerPoles seem to be available on eBay for about $1/pair ($2 per connection point), but I am still not sure about the future. I have not yet looked into the cost of SAE connector.

I agree and would be happy to adopt the connector. I have found, however; that this is not available in my area. If possible, I would like others to check availability before we adopt it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:27 am

Sorry, folks! The updated electrical diagram will have to wait until after the holiday season. Too busy.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:06 pm

The big problem with SAE connectors is that they are often times hard to get to connect and disconnect them.

I prefer to use cigarette lighter plugs and sockets for tasks like that, however conventional plugs are a tad cheaper than the SAE connectors.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:33 pm

Here it is. Everything is the same, however; there is a disclaimer and the connectors between the modules has been eliminated. Please take some time to review it and give me your feedback.

We must also reach a decision as to what connectors will be used between modules.

I also had an idea to use double pole double throw (DPDT) switches to select either track power source to any track (inside or out). This adds to operational flexibility, but complicates the wiring.

TT Module General Wiring Standard Drawing_2.pdf
(121.97 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Well, I took a look.

Not sure if I can say anything useful - electrical is *really* not my forte. Can't even say honestly that I understand what all the drawing is trying to say...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Hmm. Sorry, man. I don't think I can simplify the drawing further without loosing some of the information.

The principal for the module wiring is that we have 2 mainlines (inside and outside circles), each supplied by a separate power source. For each of these a separate set of main electrical wires (buses) are run. To feed the track smaller wires (feeders) tap off of these main wires, are fed through switches (so power can be cut) and are finally fed to individually isolated (insulated) sections of track. A fixed DC and AC supply are installed in the same manor to allow installation of auxiliary devices (switch machines, building lights, etc.) as per manufacturer instructions. As modules are connected together the buses are connected to feed power to all sections.

The following drawing is of my home layout. It is not exactly the same (I only have one track and one aux device bus), but may give an idea of what the drawing represents. The white wires are the main buses and, as you can see, feed switches that then feed tracks and devices.
PB110004.jpg

This is based on what is common practice on most club layouts, perhaps sharing it with a fellow modeler or an electrician would clarify things. If you have specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Hope this helps.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:16 pm

Okay. I'll print it out and have a modeller friend who's good with the electrical end of things explain it to me in further detail, but your summary did give me a better idea!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 pm

TTQuebec, I can wire up the module for you if you like, except I probably can't afford to buy the parts and I won't do the job if household outlets are to be used for low voltage connections. I have a good amount of wire on hand and tools but no connectors and probably not enough switches. I understand CSD's drawing and would like to contribute in some way.
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to Electric / DCC