Modular layouts?

Re: Modular layouts?

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Ok, so here is what I'm doing. The four lower pieces are held to the two 'tables' with screws (the vertical metal piece) to align them. They will also have alignment pins (pic 2) added horizontally between them so they match up exactly as they should.

The top piece (I call it the aircraft carrier) which will be the whole station will fit in place between metal brackets which are parts of the lower 'modules'. I will also be adding the alignment pins vertically for an exact fit. On the surface, the terrain and rails of the lower pieces will obviously come up to meet the station piece.

Here are things starting to take a very crude shape :D

Hopefully when all is said and done, everything will be able to come apart and back together without any issues......
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 pm

It looks like you have a good start on your layout, mine is still just a circle of test track.
There are actual standards for TT scale modules on the NMRA website. The chart is here-
http://www.nmra.org/standards/modules/ms-1_0.html
areibel

Postby BTTB Fan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:28 am

areibel wrote:It looks like you have a good start on your layout, mine is still just a circle of test track.
There are actual standards for TT scale modules on the NMRA website. The chart is here-
http://www.nmra.org/standards/modules/ms-1_0.html

Thanks for the link, areibel! I liked what I saw - if I am reading it correctly, the standard specifies offset from the front of the module for the 3 through lines, and the numbers will work well on a 24"-wide module. So, I may actually try and conform to the standard... not that I hold much hope of ever interfacing my modules with someone else's, but still... :D
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:36 am

BTTB Fan wrote:... not that I hold much hope of ever interfacing my modules with someone else's, but still... :D

I thought about making 1 or 2 actual modules within standards and then came to the same conclusion :thumbdown:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:35 pm

I've never cared for modules but lately I've started to think about how cool it would be to meet up with other TTers and put together a whole bunch of modules. Come on Southeast TTers!!!! Where are you???? Oh well...............................
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby member13 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 pm

ConducTTor wrote:lately I've started to think about how cool it would be to meet up with other TTers and put together a whole bunch of modules.

That definately would not suck :thumbup:
member13

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 pm

I am not sure how easily available they are, but I got a TT scale planning book along with some BTTB track and accessories that had about 2 dozen different layouts and even listed the number and type of tracks needed to make the layout.

It is all in German, but it's a good excuse to learn a foreign language (for me it was either going to be German or the international language of surrender, French.)
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:49 pm

AHAHAHA!!!! French........

I'm not sure how useful those books will be now though. The Tillig track has different geometry.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 pm

For me they help, as I have a few boxes full of BTTB, Zeuke, and Rokal track. At last count, about 1500 pieces of track.

Once I am able to settle down and get the hell out of connecticut, I intend on trying my hand at handlaying track for the US portion of my layout.

I have some new Tillig track, but not much of it.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans