modified Tillig turnout

Re: modified Tillig turnout

Postby CN-TT » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:22 pm

Terry, as I said at the show, I'm impressed. This thing is awesome :thumbup: I'm glad you put this turnout on your layout.
I still recommend a DCC ready servo #81310 from Uhlenbrock. I know, you ignored this advise once before. But with this is no controller needed, just hook up the 2 wires to your track and you're good to go! OK, now I'm :silent:
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Hey Terry, (you probably mentioned it somewhere) what exactly are you using for a switching mech? The turnout looks great by the way.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks.
I'm still tired from the train show and didn't write clearly. And I guess it's not apparent from the photos -- the actuator is the paper clip shaped like a Z. The Z shape gives a bit of spring pressure on the points. I have seen the Z shape wire used on layouts as a link to points from a manual throw. I got the idea of using the angle of the wire as a way to move it in and out.

I put in a styrene strip that slides left to right like a slide rule. The plastic arrows glued to it force the paper clip in and out when the slide is moved left and right.

The pictures show the slider pushed to the right and the points lined up for the straight. Pushing the slider left forces the paper clip to pull the points the other way for the siding. I'll open it up tomorrow and take photos of the final arrangement.

Possibly the points and frog didn't need wiring. Possibly they could get power in the usual way from the where the points contacted the main rails. However, for better chance of reliability at train shows I wired the points directly to the track power supply.

The plastic sliding piece when it is shoved left also hits the micro-switch. That changes polarity to the points. The square green handle on top fits into the plastic slider when the cover plate is attached --so the turnout is operated by pushing the green handle left or right.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:00 am

Aha, so it's not motorized - that's where I was confused. Thx.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion