modern day erie lackawana

Post your photos and video links here

modern day erie lackawana

Postby jmass » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:29 pm

computer animated video of what the erie lackawana would of looked like if it had survived.
jmass

Re: modern day erie lackawana

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Not a bad video, but there are little "tastes" here and there that show what the "modern" Erie Lackawana IS like.

There is the new NS #1074 painted Erie Lackawana unit, as well as the Delaware-Lackawana, which operates in Pennsylvania (notably along the route used by Steamtown USA of Scranton, PA), which has a number of vintage ALCO units painted in EL colours.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:44 am

NS1074 is painted for the Delaware Lackawanna and Western, the colors are the same but the Lackawanna guys get really PO'ed when you call it an EL unit. 1068 Is the Erie unit in two tone green.
The EL WAS a great railroad, but there isn't a whole lot left thanks to Conrail. The Western New York and Pennsylvania operates on the biggest continuous stretch that's left from Hornell NY to Meadville PA (and CR tried their damnedest to keep it from happening). The DL operates a little bit, but most of their trackage was actually Delaware & Hudson lines. And there are other chunks here and there, the B&H and the LAL in New York and a lot of the commuter lines in NJ. But west of Youngstown OH Big Blue made sure the lines went away, they abandoned most of the lines and ripped out what ever they could- including selling off the right of way so none could be rebuilt.
I still hate blue diesels with can openers on them!
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:51 am

areibel wrote:I still hate blue diesels with can openers on them!

I can understand the sentiment. What I hate more than that was the problems that led to Conrail in the first place. I would take Conrail over no trains any day of the week.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 am

The sad thing is that's what Conrail was trying to do- eliminate "excess" trackage. Most of Conrail's upper management came straight from Penn Central- yep, the same guys that created the biggest business failure on record up until Enron in 2001. They hated the other railroads that Conrail devoured, and if you look at a map of what Conrail was before the NS CSX split most of the trackage that is left was PC. Some routes had an advantage, but others there was no explanation (or sense) in the decision. And Big Blue refused to spin off sections that could have been profitable for a shortline to run, they just pulled up rail. Even where I live they tried it, the WNYP line in New York is still owned by NS and leased, but Conrail tried their hardest to abandon and remove the line in Pennsylvania- and that was in the late 90's. It took the local communities filing a lawsuit FORCING CR to sell the line to them, otherwise it would have been the same as when they removed the double track- they just don't pull up the rail, the remove bridges, pave over crossings, etc,.. that way it never comes back.
Lots of places that could be seeing at least a few trains a week don't see anything now thanks to that business strategy.
areibel

Postby jmass » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:53 am

they did the same thing here in new jersey. they ripped up the track and then to make it next to impossible for any other railroad, they just paved over the tracks or let the land go to waste. the worst part of it is is that alot of this happened in industrial areas where they could really use the freight service. i beleive they even sued companys that fought to keep the railservices, saying they were not profitable routes.
jmass

Return to Photos / Videos