A & J Models

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

A & J Models

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun May 26, 2019 8:42 pm

Has anybody heard of A & J models, formerly in Cape Coral Florida?

An empty box came my way for a Wood Water Tank kit. The end of the box indicated that it was available in HO, N and TT.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: A & J Models

Postby areibel » Sun May 26, 2019 9:07 pm

Yeah, I think they were in the late 60's or early 70's but they must have been pretty short lived though. I've picked up a couple of their kits and they're similar to other craftsman kits, a pattern with a box of wood! The ones I could put my hands on are a wood boxcar, stock car and a wood caboose but somewhere I have a small interlocking tower kit. The caboose kits had cast white metal windows and Kemtron brass trucks, the others were just the wood pieces. And I have one marked "H'n'B models" that is a boxcar kit that's identical, and even has the smae instruction sheet (marked for A & J) so they must have progressed through at least two owners before they disappeared..
areibel

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun May 26, 2019 9:25 pm

areibel wrote:Yeah, I think they were in the late 60's or early 70's but they must have been pretty short lived though. I've picked up a couple of their kits and they're similar to other craftsman kits, a pattern with a box of wood! The ones I could put my hands on are a wood boxcar, stock car and a wood caboose but somewhere I have a small interlocking tower kit. The caboose kits had cast white metal windows and Kemtron brass trucks, the others were just the wood pieces. And I have one marked "H'n'B models" that is a boxcar kit that's identical, and even has the same instruction sheet (marked for A & J) so they must have progressed through at least two owners before they disappeared..

Thank You Areibel. Another small manufacturer lost in the mists of time.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby railtwister » Sun May 26, 2019 9:37 pm

The kits were produced by Anthony and John Haffe (spelling?) during the sixties and were typical of some of the early type craftsman kits of the time, but not as nice as the old Ambroid One of Five Thousand (later Northeastern and Quality Craft) kits made in HO & O scales. Anthony and John used to come to Sunshine Region NMRA conventions along with their sister Teresa, back in the eighties and nineties, and also had a small hobbyshop during that time. Sadly, I believe all three have since passed away. I think they would probably be at least in their eighties or nineties by now.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Return to TT Scale Models