Model wheel proportions

Re: Model wheel proportions

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

I just received several images of scale correct rail by TT Filigran from Germany - thank you Helmut! This is a #6 turnout:

TT_Filigran_turnout_6_1.jpg
TT_Filigran_turnout_6_2.jpg
TT_Filigran_turnout_6_3.jpg
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:29 am

ConducTTor wrote:I just received several images of scale correct rail by TT Filigran from Germany - thank you Helmut! This is a #6 turnout

Non-insulated frog? My electrical skills would not be able to handle that! :crazy:
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:37 am

BTTB Fan wrote:Non-insulated frog? My electrical skills would not be able to handle that! :crazy:

But it looks so pretty doesn't it?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:55 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:Non-insulated frog? My electrical skills would not be able to handle that! :crazy:

That looks pretty much like a standard model railroad switch except for the doubled ties in a few spots and those thin guard rails. The metal frog allows a powered frog for better running reliability, a switch machine or hand throw with powering provision takes care of the electrical problem....dave
ctxmf74

Postby BTTB Fan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:57 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:

That looks pretty much like a standard model railroad switch except for the doubled ties in a few spots and those thin guard rails. The metal frog allows a powered frog for better running reliability, a switch machine or hand throw with powering provision takes care of the electrical problem....dave

Definitely, on the permanent layout, with a switch machine, a couple of insulating joiners and the power connector it should all work out fine. I am just sooo scared of the short circuits! :crazy:
On another note, can someone read abck and see who should get a prize for thread derailment on this one? Or, are we still on topic? :think:
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:37 pm

I'll take that prize. I guess. The topic is wheels but since they are to some degree dictated by the rail, I think we're still "topicing".
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:24 am

TTQuebec wrote: I re-equipped my Lionel/PVM GP9 with NWSL P:87 wheels that are only abou 1 scale inch off the diameter of the prototype.

Hi, Could you tell me more about replacing the PVM /Tillig GP9 power kit wheels with smaller flanged wheels? All my cars have HP size flanges and I'd like to use the same size flanges on my locos so the track frogs and guard rails flangeways can be the correct width and depth size for the cars.
What kind of operation is involved in removing and replacing the TIllig wheels with the NWSL wheels? Do the P87 profile wheels run well with HP size flanged wheels or do you use strictly P87 profile wheels on all your cars too? Does NWSL make a wheel that would match the standard HP size wheels better ? Anyone who has solved this wheel/track standards problem please offer suggestions? Thanks Dave Branum
ctxmf74

Postby sd80mac » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:53 pm

A little more searching and i found the right topic this time. Here's an updated draft of a 36" scale wheel set on a 1.5mm diameter, 18.5mm long axle.

Donnell

Link to the older post: 2mm-axles-for-rolling-stock-t834-10.html
Attachments
TT_36_inch_wheel_rev_2a.jpg
TT_36_inch_wheel_rev_2b.jpg
TT_36_inch_wheel_rev_2c.jpg
TT_36_inch_wheel_rev_2a_edge.jpg
sd80mac

Postby scaro » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 pm

nice. is this a product that might see light of day or just a bit of CAD doodling?

i think given the cost of NWSL wheels, some other source of supply would be handy.

not sure how lucrative a business it would be though.

ben
scaro

Postby sd80mac » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Just a doodle for now. I'm trying to stay focused on this GP35 locomotive. I was looking at drawing up a 100T roller-bearing truck to go with. Man, TT is a virtually untapped market with boat loads of potential!

Donnell

scaro wrote:nice. is this a product that might see light of day or just a bit of CAD doodling?

i think given the cost of NWSL wheels, some other source of supply would be handy.

not sure how lucrative a business it would be though.

ben
sd80mac

Previous

Return to General Discussion