Model wheel proportions

Re: Model wheel proportions

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:00 am

TTQuebec wrote:Comments from the German TT forum say that Tillig wheels will work on code 55 if it is glued to the ties, with NO protrusions, i.e. you can't use tie strip for it.

If it works glued it should work soldered? Maybe if the German guys are thinking about smaller rail they'll entice tillig to make some more scale like optional wheels? .........dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:07 am

Soldering will work too, yeah. So long as there's no simulated spikes and such that would interfere with the roll.

Not really sure how Tillig would be enticed to anything, really, given they're practically a monopoly on the scale. ;)

The Germans are experimenting a lot, I know that some have tried using Proto:87 wheelsets, I started a discussion on the subject a couple years back, and it seemed to grab some attention.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:13 am

I found Tillig wheels bumped along but then my soldered piece of code 55 track may not be entirely 'protrusion free'. ;)

I've never seen evidence of finescale in European TT though I'd like to. As nice as the kits etc are, they all use the NEM standard that I've seen.

As this is standard for Europe, the only TT market of note, I cannot see Tillig bothering to change.

Who actually makes the HP 7mm wheels now? Are they just old stock?

If you want to go finescale I think it means either using the HP or NWSL wheels and whatever you can adapt from the existing or older TT trucks (if you're brave) or adhering in some way to the British 3mm finescale standards. (That may not necessarily mean modelling 3mm scale, btw; they do smaller wheels which are cheap and plentiful, and these can, for example, be used in Peresvet trucks.)

Regards

Ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Ben,

The manufacturers all use the NEM standards, yes, because... well, because those are the specified standards.

It's individual modellers and occasionally groups who undertake the finer-scale work. There's quite a bit being done with RP-25 (which is admittedly "finer-scale" compared to NEM!) for example, and some have played with using Proto:87 wheels.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:14 pm

I guess there isn't an equivalent manufacturer to NWSL in Germany then, who offer something finer? Might be a dumb question, I know TT is big enough to support one decent sized manufacturer and a host of smaller ones there, but not sure what the real size of the market is.

Cheers

Ben
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:28 pm

scaro wrote:
I've never seen evidence of finescale in European TT though I'd like to. As nice as the kits etc are, they all use the NEM standard that I've seen.

Hi Ben, Maybe the Europeans view TT scale as a toy train scale like Lionel in the USA? If scale modelers are buying TT eventually they'll demand more realistic and more user friendly flanges.....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:59 pm

I don't believe it is viewed as a toy scale. Every new model that comes out is intensely scrutinized on their forums. It is not uncommon for the discussions to reach 50+ pages discussing the quality and correctness to prototype. However, they MAY not be as anal towards the wheels and rails. I would do a bit of research but performing any kind of search on those forums while using Google translate is next to impossible.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I don't believe it is viewed as a toy scale. Every new model that comes out is intensely scrutinized on their forums. It is not uncommon for the discussions to reach 50+ pages discussing the quality and correctness to prototype.

Haha, Well I've never been to europe to look so maybe their trains actually have 6 inch tall flanges?
Toy train people are hard to figure out, Lionel guys also spend a lot of time worrying about the small stuff while ignoring the obvious big thing stuck in the middle of their track.............dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 pm

I am posting on a German TT forum asking about wheel and rail size right now. Hopefully Google will do a decent job of translation and my question will be understood. I'll let you guys know what the answers are if there are any.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Agree with ConducTTor. It's certainly not a toy scale. It's a huge leap to comparing Euro TT, which is a bit like 'normal' H0 or N in its standards, to Lionel. I've never seen a TT 'Thomas' either. But I agree, I think they regard the NEM wheels and the associated track as satisfactory.

When you jump out of N to TT, though, like I did, one thing I hoped to be able to do was to work towards a look that was more towards the finescale end of things.

Ben
Last edited by scaro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scaro

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion