model railroad background pictures from computer games

Re: model railroad background pictures from computer games

Postby jpachl » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:51 am

Rich B wrote:My H0 shelf layout uses an image from cgtextures.com.

Oh, I already know this site. It's indeed a great ressource. For the concrete wall on my limestone plant diorama, I used a texture from cgtextures.com, see:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpachl/6103341883/in/set-72157627446395965/

Joern
jpachl

Postby jmass » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:06 am

Joern, that is an incredible layout you have. i like the way the buildings are weathered and how they blend in with the backdrop. great work!
jmass

Postby jpachl » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:54 pm

jmass wrote:Joern, that is an incredible layout you have.

Thank you. Actually, I invested at least as much time in designing the backdrop as I did for building the real layout. Same is true for all my dioramas, both the real and the virtual ones. They all do more or less live from the background pictures.

Joern
jpachl

Postby LVG1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Rich B wrote:My H0 shelf layout uses an image from cgtextures.com. That site has a wealth of useful images intended for games which could be used in modelling, I'd recommend a visit.

Rich B, this layout really looks great.
But there's one detail, that spoils the good overall impression:
Referring to the vehicles used, this seems to be an East German scene. But on an East German topic the West German signals would be absolutely out of place.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby jpachl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Here is another try to combine a virtual reality background with real TT scale models. The structure on the left is a modified Auhagen kit #12344 (repair shop). The same building is also part of the kits #12228 (old machine factory) and #12227 (gas station).

Joern

Chemical plant diorama von Jörn Pachl auf Flickr
jpachl

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 am

Have you ever thought of putting all of your dioramas together into one big "thing"? They're all fantastic :)
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jpachl » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:22 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Have you ever thought of putting all of your dioramas together into one big "thing"?

The three dioramas shown in the Flickr-Album 'Temporary TT scale dioramas' (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpachl/sets/72157631096303698/) do not exist as real layouts. There is just a baseboard with three ballasted tracks, one of them a stub end track with an exchangeble bumber (North American and European). This baseboard, I use for temporary photo arrangements. I take the photos in front of a light grey background. The final picture is created on a computer by adding a matching background picture.

My other dioramas (Berlin scene, US boxfile, limestone plant) shown in http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpachl/sets/72157627446395965/ are real layouts. However, the scenes are too different in era and location to be combined.

Joern
jpachl

Postby Rich B » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:15 am

LVG1 wrote:
Rich B, this layout really looks great.
But there's one detail, that spoils the good overall impression:
Referring to the vehicles used, this seems to be an East German scene. But on an East German topic the West German signals would be absolutely out of place.

It normally runs as ex-Bundesbahn, nominally set in the Teutoberger Wald. It's good to mix things up now and again though. I need to get hold of Hl signals for my current projects though, a stretch of KBS 510 in H0 and Rübeland in TT.
Rich B

Postby LVG1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:04 am

Rich B wrote:..., a stretch of KBS 510 in H0 and Rübeland in TT.

KBS 510—Dresden – Zwickau – Reichenbach—an interesting line in a mountainous environment.
But why in H0 and not TT? :thinking:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby LVG1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:22 am

Rich B wrote:It normally runs as ex-Bundesbahn, nominally set in the Teutoberger Wald. It's good to mix things up now and again though.

What about semaphore signals? They're (almost) the same in East and West Germany and are still in use on many secondary lines and some main lines.
This would fit your layout better because it rather looks like the end of a secondary line. And most of the spots of this kind still use semaphores.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion