Naples sTreeT - a Micro Switching Layout

Re: Naples sTreeT - a Micro Switching Layout

Postby RodTT » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Don't worry, nobody will fry - the caravan has been abandoned :wink:
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:43 am

I took the layout to a show yesterday in Olney here in the UK. A small show with, unusually, all the layouts being micro layouts or thereabouts, from Z up to G narrow gauge. The majority, of course, were British OO.
Almost needless to say, I was the only one with American TT, and got the usual comments about it being a nice scale and what a pity there isn't more available.
All three locos ran flawlessly, including my newly motorised GP9.
One fly in the ointment - the smoking chimney failed to work right from the start. Not a sausage all day. I checked the connections and could see no obvious faults. And then I got it home and tried it again, and yes, it worked perfectly.
RodTT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am

RodTT wrote:One fly in the ointment - the smoking chimney failed to work right from the start. Not a sausage all day. I checked the connections and could see no obvious faults. And then I got it home and tried it again, and yes, it worked perfectly.

Sometimes things can be quite stubborn, maybe it had a case of "stage fright"...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby RodTT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 am

One thing you need, even on a small model railroad, is lots of wiring. Mine was all a bit of a tangle, so I consolidated it and put all the inputs and outputs onto one small board. There are three inputs - track feed, which supplies the track, smoking chimney and under-layout speakers; pushbutton input for the smoking chimney; and 12V DC for the chimney timer, glowing brazier and overhead LED strip. The gizmo in the middle is the timer, and the microswitch at right is an override cut-off for it.
(You can tell that my abilities to saw a straight line are limited.)
I must say I'm not over keen on the terminal block type connectors, but I have lots of them and it made sense to use them. I don't have to plug and unplug them that often.
But are there any alternatives that come to mind and that I could fit onto this board instead, bearing in mind the wooden base?
P1050510.JPG
RodTT

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:36 am

Rod, I'm loving the rail/ballast/street work. Looks great!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby RodTT » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:22 am

And now the video...here's a bit of switching action.
https://youtu.be/iWOwbz27m1Q
I recorded this on my smartphone attached to a tripod and used Windows Movie Maker to edit it. It's my first YouTube posting and I must say the quality is not quite as good as the original...can anyone suggest why? I've read that it can take a while for YouTube videos to gain their full quality but it's been up there for about a day now. The maximum quality YouTube lets me set when I view it is 480p.
RodTT

Postby MacG » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:01 pm

Nice switching action.

Have you set the output format at Windows Movie Maker greater than 480p? I have not uploaded anything for a long time. Maybe Youtube has edited or converted the video again, because of a setting when uploading?
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Fantastic little layout. Is your SW1200 with sound or did you edit all that in?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby RodTT » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:20 pm

MacG wrote:Nice switching action.

Have you set the output format at Windows Movie Maker greater than 480p? I have not uploaded anything for a long time. Maybe Youtube has edited or converted the video again, because of a setting when uploading?

Thanks, I'll see if I can fiddle around with the format but the thing is that the MP4 file produced by WMM plays ok in Windows Media Player on my PC, it's only the uploaded copy that plays at a lower resolution in YouTube.

Just out of interest, does YouTube allow you to choose a higher resolution than 480p when you play the video?
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:31 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Fantastic little layout. Is your SW1200 with sound or did you edit all that in?

Thanks.
The sound is produced by two under-baseboard MRC diesel sounders set to the same address as the loco. You can choose between six different prime mover types and there are various CVs for horn and bell type etc, and function keys for air release, coupler noise etc. I have one at each end of the layout. Of course when close up you can tell that the sound isn't actually coming from the loco but because the layout is so short it's near enough!

I deliberately didn't do any horn or bell sounds on the video because I thought they'd be too distracting.
RodTT

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans