Naples sTreeT - a Micro Switching Layout

Re: Naples sTreeT - a Micro Switching Layout

Postby RodTT » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Don't worry, nobody will fry - the caravan has been abandoned :wink:
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:43 am

I took the layout to a show yesterday in Olney here in the UK. A small show with, unusually, all the layouts being micro layouts or thereabouts, from Z up to G narrow gauge. The majority, of course, were British OO.
Almost needless to say, I was the only one with American TT, and got the usual comments about it being a nice scale and what a pity there isn't more available.
All three locos ran flawlessly, including my newly motorised GP9.
One fly in the ointment - the smoking chimney failed to work right from the start. Not a sausage all day. I checked the connections and could see no obvious faults. And then I got it home and tried it again, and yes, it worked perfectly.
RodTT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am

RodTT wrote:One fly in the ointment - the smoking chimney failed to work right from the start. Not a sausage all day. I checked the connections and could see no obvious faults. And then I got it home and tried it again, and yes, it worked perfectly.

Sometimes things can be quite stubborn, maybe it had a case of "stage fright"...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby RodTT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 am

One thing you need, even on a small model railroad, is lots of wiring. Mine was all a bit of a tangle, so I consolidated it and put all the inputs and outputs onto one small board. There are three inputs - track feed, which supplies the track, smoking chimney and under-layout speakers; pushbutton input for the smoking chimney; and 12V DC for the chimney timer, glowing brazier and overhead LED strip. The gizmo in the middle is the timer, and the microswitch at right is an override cut-off for it.
(You can tell that my abilities to saw a straight line are limited.)
I must say I'm not over keen on the terminal block type connectors, but I have lots of them and it made sense to use them. I don't have to plug and unplug them that often.
But are there any alternatives that come to mind and that I could fit onto this board instead, bearing in mind the wooden base?
P1050510.JPG
RodTT

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans