Naples sTreeT - a Micro Switching Layout

Re: Naples sTreeT - a Micro Switching Layout

Postby RodTT » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:16 am

TiTan downunder wrote:Rod

>> Also, the black knobs you see sticking out are the turnout operating rods, which run front to back - some spectators were pushing these instead of pressing the red button for the smoking chimney, which caused a bit of mayhem. <<

Simple solution might be to just paint them the blue as on the front edge to blend in. Them seem to obvious for "little fingers" to resist.

Ian

Good idea. Another thing suggested to me was to make a kind of wooden slot-over bar to fit at shows, so the rods aren't exposed. As I operate from the back at shows this wouldn't be a problem.
Funnily enough, the worst culprit was actually one of the children's mothers. Took me a while to realise why the train was derailing. Having said that, the vast majority of children (and parents) are most civilised and don't touch unless asked. If there's a really keen child who 'gets' switching I sometimes pass over the controls and let them have a go.
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:43 pm

A bit more work on the eight-inch switching extension to Naples Street. At the moment it looks like exactly what it is - an afterthought. I need to fill in or hide that gap in the backscene. And the tank green matchpot I'd used to paint the front of the baseboard ran out so I tried mixing my own and got it too dark, so the whole length will need re-doing.
With the extension in place the layout looked unbalanced so I decided to move CFH Engineering a few inches left and extend its track as well. This also meant moving the smoking chimney and drilling another hole for the wires. The original hole is shown in the second photo; let's hope Twyla doesn't push her bloke down it before I've filled it in.
The space towards the back of the extension looks just the place for a rusty old car and a bit of rubbish...
P1050198.JPG

P1050199.JPG
RodTT

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:11 pm

What brand of track are you using? It may just be the photos but it looks different from Tillig or Kuhn somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby RodTT » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:36 am

ConducTTor wrote:What brand of track are you using? It may just be the photos but it looks different from Tillig or Kuhn somehow.

It's Peco HOm. I had lots left over from my 3mm modelling days. At the start of this topic there's a bit of a debate about it. The sleepers are probably a bit heavy for 1:120 but I didn't see the point buying more track when I had this to hand.
I also had heaps of turnouts. Some of these were handmade but match up quite well.
RodTT

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:49 am

Hah! I knew something was "off". I guess this year's eye exam is not necessary lol.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby RodTT » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:49 am

ConducTTor wrote:Hah! I knew something was "off". I guess this year's eye exam is not necessary lol.

Naples Street is a thriving place, as witnessed by the new extension being built. The company laying the track optimistically decided to go for something heavy-duty that would last forever.
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:59 am

Another one-day show for Naples Street here in the UK after Olney in September - Letchworth MRS, 30 November.
Plenty of time to finish that extension (he says) - trouble is the garage is so cold some days I can't stay in there for long. Can't wait for the conversion work to be done just after Easter, after which it will be nice and warm in there. No need for the workmen at Napoli Distribution to keep that brazier going...
P1040738.JPG
RodTT

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:46 pm

Hah the brazier is awesome.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby RodTT » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:30 am

Another show for Naples Street - Princes Risborough on 22 Feb 2020.

So that's three shows coming up in the next ten months - must get on with that 8-inch extension to the layout. It's been stalled somewhat by the lack of space to work in at present. Still, the garage conversion is under way and soon I'll have a nice stretch of dedicated wall space - should be able to grab a couple of metres somewhere in the couple of rooms that are going to be created out of this...who knows, maybe more for a bigger layout?
P1050233.JPG
RodTT

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:02 pm

A bigger layout should be your highest priority lol.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans