Naples sTreeT - a Micro Switching Layout

Re: Naples sTreeT - a Micro Switching Layout

Postby RodTT » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:37 pm

MacG wrote:Nice job on the 50ft car. I miss the two vertical rods in front of the plug door.

50ft_door_detail.jpg

Never mind, I never noticed. Although the supplied side ladders and stirrups were the wrong size and I had to make my own.
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:22 am

Two new road vehicles on Naples Street, a Ford CL-9000 cab and a 1970 Chevrolet Malibu, both from RailTT:
P1050139s.jpg

P1050142s.jpg

P1050146s.jpg
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:27 pm

I took Naples Street to its second show at the weekend, a 2-day event in Milton Keynes quite near to where I live, filling four halls.
The brazier glowed, the factory chimney smoked, and the locos and stock ran impeccably (well, almost - the SOO switcher played up as soon as I got there but I managed to get it going). The show was really well attended and there was lots of curiosity about American TT - it's just a pity I had to tell people how little there is available.
One guy there had come specifically because he'd read the layout was going to be there. There were a couple of British 3mm scale modellers there, also very interested, and a very knowledgeable Aussie guy who lives in London, but whose name I didn't get, who is already doing lots with US TT - some of you may know him.

Here's the layout at the show, before the crowds came:
P1050156.JPG

P1050157.JPG

P1050158.JPG

And a view of the fiddle yard:
P1050159.JPG
RodTT

Naples sTreeT - a Micro Switching Layout

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Great little layout. You should join the FB micro layouts group and show it off there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Great looking diorama. Hope to get my first diorama somewhere near done before this coming Dec. to take to a show.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby RodTT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:01 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Great little layout. You should join the FB micro layouts group and show it off there.

Thanks. Actually I think someone did a video of it the first day and posted it on Facebook. I have an account but don't tend to bother with it.
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Bernd wrote:Great looking diorama. Hope to get my first diorama somewhere near done before this coming Dec. to take to a show.

Bernd

The one problem with it for switching purposes is the short lead at the left-hand end as you look, leading to the team track on the right. I may add 8 inches or so to the layout at that end - making it a massive 48 inches in all!
Also, the black knobs you see sticking out are the turnout operating rods, which run front to back - some spectators were pushing these instead of pressing the red button for the smoking chimney, which caused a bit of mayhem.
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:00 pm

So here goes with an extension for Naples Street, to give more switching room.
P1050178.JPG

P1050191.JPG

Of course I'll be extending the backscene and re-fitting the side panel. The layout will measure just on 48in., so it will still qualify as a micro layout :thumbup:
I will probably only lengthen the track nearest to the edge. Not sure what to do with the space behind - maybe a generally overgrown, run-down area with a rusty car or two. Or I may extend the cream building in the picture.
Any more ideas?
RodTT

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:22 pm

I like the idea of a run down area.

What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TiTan downunder » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Rod

>> Also, the black knobs you see sticking out are the turnout operating rods, which run front to back - some spectators were pushing these instead of pressing the red button for the smoking chimney, which caused a bit of mayhem. <<

Simple solution might be to just paint them the blue as on the front edge to blend in. Them seem to obvious for "little fingers" to resist.

Ian
TiTan downunder

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans