A Micro Switching Layout

Re: A Micro Switching Layout

Postby j p » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:20 pm

RodTT wrote:As to tie spacing - figures seem to vary. According to the Railway Tie Association (they had to exist, didn't they?), http://www.rta.org/faqs, the spacing is 19.5in. According to Wikipedia it's 18. So for TT something like 0.15 to 0.175 inches should look about right. But I suppose you have to take into account the tie thickness too, a thicker tie would presumably look better with a bigger gap.

The tie spacing depends on the type of the track, railroad, and era.
Here is Pennsy's track spacing as an example:
http://prr.railfan.net/standards/standards.cgi?plan=61030-B
j p

Postby RodTT » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:12 am

Maybe not worth getting too fussy about then. The Pennsy's spacing for yards and commercial sidings was near on 2 ft 6in, and I daresay other railroads had similar. So for my purposes the spacing of the ties as supplied should do fine.
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:57 am

A couple of months on and I've managed to get the track laid, wired and sprayed.

P1040558.JPG

You can see the wooden pushrods I use to change the points. They also operate microswitches which change the polarity of the frogs.

And...I added a run-round after all. Given that it also serves as storage while switching, I haven't really lost anything by ditching a siding.
RodTT

Postby Bernd » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:10 am

Looking good Rod.
Bernd

Postby RodTT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 am

Here are a couple of photos showing the fiddle yard. It's 20in. long, or half as much as the layout itself. I've designed it as a sector plate, so the length of wood the track is resting on swivels at the back end to swap between two tracks if need be. (The track in the photo isn't fixed down yet.)

P1040567.JPG

P1040568.JPG

The gap at bottom left is to accommodate the post for a lighting gantry, as yet to be built.

Also on view are the legs for the fiddle yard and layout, they are simply in the form of an upside down table and the baseboards just rest on them. This way I can easily get underneath the layout if I need to.
RodTT

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans