Mechanism Kits For Your Projects

Would you buy an affordable mechanism for your scratchbuilt project?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:25 am

Yes!
100%
No.
No votes

Total votes : 12

Mechanism Kits For Your Projects

Postby CSD » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:25 am

Hello All. I have been in contact with a TT manufacturer and have the opertunity to do a bulk order of parts to create some mechanism kits to motor scratch built projects. The kits would include the power truck, universal joints, a motor and some other bits to make the whole thing work. The price would be around $70 or less (I hope). At this point an 8' truck is available. A 9' should come out next year.

I've have followed the various topics in regards to this question, so my question is: Who is interested? I would like some idea of the numbers before I commit to an order and build the kits.

Please comment!
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: Mechanism Kits For Your Projects

Postby Carsten » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:22 am

I'd like to see the mechanism or to know the manufacturer before I vote.
Carsten

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:26 am

I voted yes. However, I have to quantify my the yes. It really depends on the specific project I'm working on and therefore on the parts available. For example, would it be possible to order just the spur gears? And could I order a specific number as opposed to just what's contained in one truck? Anyway, overall answer is yes. The easier it is to get parts, the easier to make stuff.

Ultimately, if you can get them fast enough, there's no need to actually stock parts.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:32 am

Carsten wrote:I'd like to see the mechanism or to know the manufacturer before I vote.

I'll have to agree. Without some idea of the quality of a mechanism, it's hard to commit, because I don't want any second-rate mechanisms at any price, no matter how inexpensive. That said, I am interested...

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby CSD » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:51 am

Carsten wrote:I'd like to see the mechanism or to know the manufacturer before I vote.

Of course. See below.

ConducTTor wrote:...would it be possible to order just the spur gears? And could I order a specific number as opposed to just what's contained in one truck? Anyway, overall answer is yes. The easier it is to get parts, the easier to make stuff.

Good question. I don't know for sure. The individual parts come on a tree, so it would be my impression that if you wanted "spare parts" it would be like ordering from any othe manufacturer in that you get a grouping of parts.

railtwister wrote:I'll have to agree. Without some idea of the quality of a mechanism, it's hard to commit, because I don't want any second-rate mechanisms at any price, no matter how inexpensive.

That's fair. My initial impression is that it looks good. The parts move freely and smoothly. They are proffessionally made of mold injected plastic (metal parts as required i.e. wheels, shafts). Power pick-up is installed and collected from all wheels. All axels are driven. I do not yet have a sample motor. I was not planning to include a chassis or motor mount, so some measuring and scratch building is still required to make it go.

IMG_1243.jpg
IMG_1246.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:58 am

What wheel diameters are available?

I don't see traction tires on the wheels in your pics. This can be problematic due to weight issues (smaller internal real estate under the hood of American locos and, the expense of complex metal chassis taking them of the equation).
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:19 pm

^^^The wheel diameter is 40" (0.333" actual)

You are correct that there is no friction tires. At present the tires are not an option. For comparison, the Bull Ant does not have them either. There are after market products like that green goup (that I have forgotton the name of) if you need it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Will there be other wheel diameters available? If so, do you know what they'll be?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:33 pm

^^^ Perhaps I can turn this around. What diameters would people like to see? I can always ask.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:35 pm

I'll get back to you with diameters.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion