McHenry Couplers?

McHenry Couplers?

Postby TTTerrific » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:16 am

Does anyone have any experience using the Athern mfg'd N scale McHenry couplers on their TT scale rolling stock as opposed to the MTL N #1023's? If so, any thoughts or opinions on this subject? I ask because the 23's are now $6.25 for two pairs, and a supplier on E-Bay is selling 25 pairs of N McHenrys for $20.00! :think:
TTTerrific

Re: McHenry Couplers?

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:28 am

I put some on my Saz model SW9 and on some freight cars and they seem fine. They look like a tiny KD coupler. They fit into MTL coupler boxes, their heads are bit bigger than the N couplers and they have easy to use springs built on to their body. The only problem i've had was one of them lost it's tiny knuckle coil spring so I need to buy a pack of replacement springs for maintenance. I don't use the automatic uncoupling magnets so I have no idea how well they would work in that respect. ...DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby TTTerrific » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:45 am

Dave,

What model # MTL box worked with the McHenrys?
TTTerrific

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:23 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:I put some on my Saz model SW9 and on some freight cars and they seem fine. They look like a tiny KD coupler. They fit into MTL coupler boxes, their heads are bit bigger than the N couplers and they have easy to use springs built on to their body. ...DaveB

I believe someone mentioned before, on this forum, that the coupler heads are indeed bigger and that the built in spring attached to coupler shank looses it tension after awhile, preventing the coupler from self centering.
milwrd1

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:08 pm

What model # MTL box worked with the McHenrys?

The boxes I used came with MTL bulk packs of N scale couplers, model 1015. The longer MTL boxes need the lips clipped off to make them work. The McHenry couplers have attached springs so one could just make a box from plastic sheet and strip material or extend the underframe center sill to include a coupler box......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:11 pm

"the built in spring attached to coupler shank looses it tension after awhile, preventing the coupler from self centering."

The attached springs are plastic so it wouldn't surprise me if they did lose their strength but I don't use automatic coupling or uncoupling so I'm not concerned about that aspect....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:37 am

TTTerrific wrote:Does anyone have any experience using the Athern mfg'd N scale McHenry couplers on their TT scale rolling stock as opposed to the MTL N #1023's? If so, any thoughts or opinions on this subject? I ask because the 23's are now $6.25 for two pairs, and a supplier on E-Bay is selling 25 pairs of N McHenrys for $20.00! :think:

They are stiffer than the MicroTrains couplers. They do mate but sometimes have trouble uncoupling. As they are stiffer than the M/T couplers sometimes when trying to couple they push the car instead.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:49 pm

"they are stiffer than the M/T couplers sometimes when trying to couple they push the car instead."

I've read that is the reason Kadee made their smaller couplers with the split shank. The McHenry's are very much like a small version of the Kadee HO coupler so I wouldn't be surprised if they do take more force to couple. The force required hasn't been apparent to me as I normally couple cars by hand, centering the couplers as the two cars get close then holding my finger on top of the car to be coupled to so it won't roll. If someone wants to couple at remote spots and is using magnets to uncouple then a thorough test of the McHenry's should be undertaken before installing a bunch of them :>) .......DaveB
ctxmf74

Return to General Discussion