Masking a locomotive for painting

Masking a locomotive for painting

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:58 am

I am contemplating repainting my Pennsylvania Railroad Lionel/Lok-N-Roll F-3 to become a Southern Railway F-3, preferably in time for the upcoming National Train Show in Atlanta, this coming July.

I have never before attempted to paint a cab unit locomotive to Southern colors before, and I am curious as to if anyone here has done it before and if there is any advice / words of experience out there that anyone would like to share.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Masking a locomotive for painting

Postby CSD » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:45 pm

The advice I would offer would be to use decals for any pin striping rather than trying to paint them yourself. I also don't recommend dry transfers on rounded surfaces. I find that the paper backing for these does not shape well.

Are you planning on using an air brush?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:30 pm

CSD wrote:The advice I would offer would be to use decals for any pin striping rather than trying to paint them yourself. I also don't recommend dry transfers on rounded surfaces. I find that the paper backing for these does not shape well.

Are you planning on using an air brush?

I do plan on using an airbrush.
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:41 pm

^^^Make sure you post some progress pics. I'd like to see how it goes.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:28 am

CSD wrote:^^^Make sure you post some progress pics. I'd like to see how it goes.

When I start on the project, I will take photos and post them. Unfortunately that project is on hold, as the funds I had set aside for an airbrush compressor have been wiped out because of a moronic mechanic, and then some.

I do have a conversion hose for my Badger airbrush that taps into the regulator on my large 30 gallon air compressor, but that might be overkill. I have never tried to use it, and am not sure if I should.
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 am

If you have a regulator good enough to dial the pressure down for the air brush, the 30 gal would work great. Pump it up once and you'll be able to paint anything you want in TT, an airbrush compressor going to run pretty much constantly. I don't like them because they're loud, I can run an air hose in from the garage, connect my regulator onto the end of that (I have a regular 1/4 inch connector as the input on the regulator) and hang the regulator on the side of the bench. Connect the air brush and paint!
areibel

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 am

Actually, having a larger reservoir feeding your regulator is a better thing Chief, it will decrease the condensation issues you deal with when using a mini-compressor as well as generally settling the air feeding to your regulator. Tom Dempsey, Spokane, WA
Tom Dempsey

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:40 pm

"Chief"?

I am not sure how good the regulator on the compressor is, so I may have to try to find a downstream regulator, that way I can regulate pressure downstream of my add-on moisture collector, which is a must in Georgia if you want to use a compressor to apply paint to anything.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:26 am

Well, I found a good regulator for the airbrush, with the addition of a second moisture trap, things went swimmingly for the test runs, only to have the air tank to develop a leak from the secondary inlet tap, which requires a huge wrench (3") to fix. Trying to find one of those is a royale pain in the tail feathers.

It looks like my Lok-N-Roll F-3 is going to the 2013 as-is (PRR paint).
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, it has been a few years, but I have finally decided to bite the bullet and try masking cab-unit locomotives, with a decent result for the first time 'round.

Now it is a matter of creating decals for the loco.
AstroGoat760

Return to General Discussion