MarqueTTe models... via Shapeways

Re: MarqueTTe models... via Shapeways

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Well in one word, yes. If you're going with injection molded plastics you may as well just use metal. As for the Shapeways stuff, a combination will indeed be required.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Ah, bloody hell...

Just finished up the roofline over the cab, went to ogle the overall progress... and realised that the windshields are too tall and/or the short hood is too short... *sigh*. And there's no easy fix for this. Easiest is probably to scrap and restart. :(

So probably what I will do is this: finish this up to be as printable as possible, to do the testing of fit that I'd mentioned, then restart on a new full-body design... *muttermutter*
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby areibel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:46 pm

On the PVM chassis kits Elmer casts them out of resin, and reinforces it with two steel rods (cast in).They're pretty sturdy,
I've got one that's been assembled for probably close to 5 years and there's no sign of a sag.
Alex, I looked at the lastest pic you posted. The sides of the chassis, will they be exposed with the shell on? If they'll be covered, could you make a step in the sides between the step wells and use a piece of brass channel or angle epoxied to each side to stiffen it up? or if that's your exposed sill, leave a slot inside the chassis under the shell on each side so you could glue in a flat stiffener (slid in on edge) or a piece of brass angle? It wouldn't have to be very thick, probably .040 or .050 would help. To mount on the outside edge you might need to make the chassis a little thinner for the shell to sit over?
Lots of questions, maybe a few possibilities?
Al
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:21 am

Marquette wrote:Ah, bloody hell...

Just finished up the roofline over the cab, went to ogle the overall progress... and realised that the windshields are too tall and/or the short hood is too short... *sigh*. And there's no easy fix for this. Easiest is probably to scrap and restart. :(

So probably what I will do is this: finish this up to be as printable as possible, to do the testing of fit that I'd mentioned, then restart on a new full-body design... *muttermutter*

He he. I've been through the above process more times than I care to remember. That's the way though. :smile:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:32 am

areibel wrote:Alex, I looked at the lastest pic you posted. The sides of the chassis, will they be exposed with the shell on? If they'll be covered, could you make a step in the sides between the step wells and use a piece of brass channel or angle epoxied to each side to stiffen it up? or if that's your exposed sill, leave a slot inside the chassis under the shell on each side so you could glue in a flat stiffener (slid in on edge) or a piece of brass angle? It wouldn't have to be very thick, probably .040 or .050 would help. To mount on the outside edge you might need to make the chassis a little thinner for the shell to sit over?
Lots of questions, maybe a few possibilities?
Al

I'll sum up all the answers to the questions as follows:

There will be a few small bits using Shapeways materials as they will either not be seen or not stressed by heat or weight. Other than that, truck towers will have to be injection molded, the shell and walkways / pilots will be either a one or two piece casting made from high quality RP and the main chassis bulk will be milled brass. I will be using various Shapeways materials to finalize the dimensions and fit between the various pieces. Some of the transmission and a few small bits will be sourced from currently available pieces that I can be assured will be available.

There's still a long way to go and there are no guarantees on anything but until there is simply no way to make this happen I will venture down all possible paths.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:14 am

it sounds like one may as well go with the smoother, clear material for non-load bearing parts, seeing as *any* load bearing now appears to be a no-no with both the clear and WSF material. wonder how the trucks will fare? though the area bearing the load there is the bolster and these are quite short, thankfully.

i think CSD found that motor heat didn't unduly stress the hood of his GP?
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:44 am

scaro wrote:*any* load bearing now appears to be a no-no with both the clear and WSF material. wonder how the trucks will fare?

Hadn't thought about that. I have a few cars that have been sitting on their trucks for months now and will take a look when I get home.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:17 am

areibel wrote:
scaro wrote:i don't see that drawing up trucks is essential, these look OK ...

http://ttmodels.co.uk/members/gallery/g ... _itemId=18

I'm not sure of where the 3SMR sideframes originated, but I'd bet they were white metal copies of the old brass Kemtron sideframes. The Kemtrons were about 4 scale inches too long, they were made to fit the power truck used under the FA's, and the FA prototype truck is 9'4" vs a Bloomberg at 9'. The Lionel sideframes are actually about 6 inches too short, but they fit the Tillig trucks. So there's a difference of almost a scale foot, the white metal ones might not line up exactly.
Elmer (PVM) offers resin copies of the Lionel sideframes, so they're available if needed to fit the Tillig trucks.

I am wondering, re the Lionel units having 8’6” wheelbase bogies, what is the wheelbase of the Lok-N-Roll chassis trucks? Is it the same as the Lionel?

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:46 am

ConducTTor wrote:
scaro wrote:*any* load bearing now appears to be a no-no with both the clear and WSF material. wonder how the trucks will fare?

Hadn't thought about that. I have a few cars that have been sitting on their trucks for months now and will take a look when I get home.

I don't see any deformation of the bogies. The cars themselves are relatively light (I've added brass tubing across the bottom for a bit more weight) so I'm not surprised.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:50 am

LNR wheel base is 22.8mm (works out to just .3inches short of prototype in 1:1) - Lionel is 21.8mm. It's not TOO obvious when put together but it definitely could be better. Maybe I'll do a new better version of the truck side frames.....
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models