Mark's Train Set

Mark's Train Set

Postby CSD » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 pm

With the bulk of the basement renovation completed I was able to resume construction of my layout and thought that I could share some pictures for comment.

The theme of the layout is a Moravian station with engine service terminal and industrial yard during the 60's and 70's. Since Czechoslovakia was electrified both with AC and DC systems, DC electric engines from Ostrava are switched out for steam or diesel engines to connect with the AC system in Brno. (I, of course, have a number of "foreign" visitors.)

When completed it will be a multi level point to point with about a 30 foot main line run. Minimum radius is 600mm.

I will add more photos as work progresses.
Attachments
PA060001.jpg
Overall View From Staging End
PA060004.jpg
Overhead View
PA060007.jpg
Under The Table
PA060006.jpg
Overall View From Station End
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: Mark's Train Set

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:48 pm

That looks great! Keep the pics of the build coming! I'm jealous of the space you have....
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Living alone has its advantages.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:20 pm

Looks excellent!
I was just going to ask if people had any good/bad experiences with Tortiose switch machines, and it looks like you are using them on (well... under) your layout! So, how do you like them? And, do you think they will be easy to mount under the 2" polystyrene foam board?
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:38 pm

So far they layout looks great, keep us posted on the progress!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:25 am

BTTB Fan wrote:Looks excellent!
I was just going to ask if people had any good/bad experiences with Tortiose switch machines, and it looks like you are using them on (well... under) your layout! So, how do you like them? And, do you think they will be easy to mount under the 2" polystyrene foam board?

I like them quite a bit. I started to use them more out of necessity than desire. The Tillig advanced track EW2 and EW3 switches require more torque as you have to "bend the rail" and switch polarity of the frog. The Tortoise's are relatively heavy and produce higher torque but I think you should be able to mount on foam board so long as your track and the machine are rigidly attached. I also found that the switching wire arm that came with the unit had to be replaced with a heavier gauge for the tillig track.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:04 am

Here are some trains on tracks photos. Running these back and forth on the little track I have installed can keep me entertained for hours.
Attachments
P9200013.jpg
E499.0 project testing
P9200014.jpg
754 (exT478.3) waiting for signals
P7020013.jpg
T478.1 and 437.0 with soldering iron backround
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:30 am

CSD wrote:Running these back and forth on the little track I have installed can keep me entertained for hours.

That's funny. I'm the same way :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:34 am

CSD wrote:I like them quite a bit. I started to use them more out of necessity than desire. The Tillig advanced track EW2 and EW3 switches require more torque as you have to "bend the rail" and switch polarity of the frog. The Tortoise's are relatively heavy and produce higher torque but I think you should be able to mount on foam board so long as your track and the machine are rigidly attached. I also found that the switching wire arm that came with the unit had to be replaced with a heavier gauge for the tillig track.

Thanks! My main concern about the foam board was the thickness and the ability of the wire arm to produce enough torque on the longer arm length. I will have to give it a try and see...
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby CSD » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:53 am

I've started the installation of the "Ostrava/Olomouc" staging. I'm building it outside the cabinet in 3' sections to avoid working in the tight space. The tracks will be able to store trains of 4' to 5' in length on 5 separate sidings and eventually will have some kind of transfer table at the end to turn locomotives for return trips. The points will be driven with tortoise switch machines.

Here is an overall look at how the main line enters the staging.
PB010006.jpg

PB010003.jpg

A view of the staging from inside.
PB010001.jpg

I noticed some other comments on the site about road bed. Rather than buy cork or hobby shop supplies, I use 1.25" weather stripping. It has a sticky side which makes the installation easy. Then the track is glued in place with calking smoothed flat with a knife. My drafting program is employed making full size printouts of track pieces that I tape in place to help layout and position the track. Then paint and ballast (which I will not bother with in the staging areas).
PB010004.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans