Mark's Train Set

Re: Mark's Train Set

Postby CSD » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:15 am

Doing a little test, I realized that its kind of a shame that no one will be able to see this thing when the layout is finished. Oh well, at least there will be a hidden secret spiral spot.
P1100003.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:15 am

Why don't you leave the front side exposed? Just cover it with some sort of drape when you want to hide it.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:57 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Why don't you leave the front side exposed? Just cover it with some sort of drape when you want to hide it.

The plan was to leave a trap door in the side of the facia, however; with the elimination of one linear foot of real estate (I noticed that getting furniture in and out of the basement would be a real pain) the separation between two of my scenes, and the trap door, on the lower level went with it. If one wanted to look at it there still is maintenance access under the layout that takes you to the center of it.

On the drawing the green lines represent the backdrop for the lower level. The portion at the top will connect with the branch line and feature a cement company and the section to the right will have a mainline bridge crossing over the branch.
End of Layout Curve 2.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:15 am

Got my shipment of 12V DPDT relays and diodes today and was able to install the staging track controls. It uses a rotary switch to activate relays that control the polarity of the voltage running the tortois switch machines. By using the switch to only power tracks that are aligned with the switches I have taken the number of future detection circuits from 10 down to 1. A good deal considering that one detection module with 16 inputs is about $130 to $160. I still need to mount the switches on a panel, but they work.
P1200003.jpg
Switch Control Circuit
P1200006.jpg
Rotary Selector
P1200004.jpg
The Whole Mess
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby BTTB Fan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 pm

CSD wrote:Got my shipment of 12V DPDT relays and diodes today and was able to install the staging track controls. It uses a rotary switch to activate relays that control the polarity of the voltage running the tortois switch machines.

I was planning to control Tortioses directly with DPDT switches, any reason why I should use relays in addition?
I was going to use relays, but only to get the bus power to the track. And, speaking of DPDT relays (or DPST, for that matter, since I only need on/off on the track), where did you get them, and for how much, of you don't mind my asking? I got a 50-piece lot of SPDT relays from china quite cheaply, and was planning to either use them in pairs, or simply cut power to one rail, but if I can get DPDT version, I might go for that instead.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby CSD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:41 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:I was planning to control Tortioses directly with DPDT switches, any reason why I should use relays in addition?

No. The reason I did it this way was to control more than one turnout with a single switch. The relays when inactive keep the turnouts aligned strait. When active the contacts switch the polarity and throw the turnout to the curved side. The rotary switch selects which relays will be active to align the tracks. Each turnout mech gets its own relay. The diodes prevent back feed into other circuits. For example: To enter track 1 a train must cross 3 turnouts. Turnout 1 has to be curved, turnout 2 has to be curved and turnout 3 remains strait. The rotary switch in position 'track 1' activates turnout relay 1 and 2. These relays reverse the polarity on turnout mechs 1 and 2 thus throwing the switches and aligning the route. The rotary switch is a double pole, so the second pole is used to only feed power to the tracks for which the turnouts are aligned. Since only one track is powered at a time and the turnouts have to be aligned to it, only a single detection circuit is required for signaling.

I am still using DPDT switches in many places out on the line, but thought this might be kind of slick in comparison to throwing a bunch of individual switches. The ladders in the station are going to get this treatment too, however; shunting override DPDT switches will be inline for individual turnout control.

BTTB Fan wrote:I was going to use relays, but only to get the bus power to the track. And, speaking of DPDT relays (or DPST, for that matter, since I only need on/off on the track), where did you get them, and for how much, of you don't mind my asking? I got a 50-piece lot of SPDT relays from china quite cheaply, and was planning to either use them in pairs, or simply cut power to one rail, but if I can get DPDT version, I might go for that instead.

The relays were purchased at Electronic Goldmine (http://www.goldmine-elec.com/) for about $1.50 each. I may have screwed up with the DPST designation. For that application I'm actually using DPDT on-on and just leaving the other pole dead. On my layout I'm using DPDT on-off-on so that the tracks can be fed DC or DCC with an off position. I did not include this on the module standard to keep it simple. For your home layout I would recommend it. You can then control sections of track independently from 2 power supplies.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby BTTB Fan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks, good ideas there!
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby CSD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:26 pm

Working Staging!
P1210003.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Nice man, nice. I'm so anxious to start working on my layout - your progress just reinforces that (not a bad thing).
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:13 am

Just got my sample packs of Silflor grass mats and tried a little experiment. Have any of you folks used it? What do you think?
P1250008.jpg
Last edited by CSD on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing attachments
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans