Mark's Train Set

Re: Mark's Train Set

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Mega cool!

I'm moving in January so all building for me is at a standstill until then. Your progress gives me a lot of inspiration but it's painful that I can't work on anything right now.

Anyway, keep em coming. Cheers!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:40 pm

CSD wrote:Time for the "let's build it" program...

Now, back at work, the program was a failure. I found that I was very low on flex track, I only had left switches, electronics had to be back ordered and Dad (he's a contractor) took all the tools with him to do a job out of town. The staging yard got some work completed, but not much. At least a bunch of locomotive maintenance got done.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Back on track. My order of track parts (and other items) arrived before Christmas. In the meantime, I've researched and designed the automatic signaling system for the station. This site is a good reference for German and other European signal systems: http://www.sh1.org/eisenbahn/index.htm
Petra Station Signals.jpg

This system will utilize the CCCP style signal heads and work according to switch position and block detection.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:29 pm

What are you using for block detection and electronics in general?
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:48 pm

ConducTTor wrote:What are you using for block detection and electronics in general?

Frankly, I have no idea. There have been major problems getting the digital components needed. I would like to say ESU, but they have not yet sent my decoder order.

The general idea is that the switch positions will be controlled by face mounted switches so that operators can control their own routes. The auxiliary contacts on the tortoise motors will feed (via an interface) into a computer. Block detection modules will sense loads in track blocks and feed that into the computer as well. Then I'll use some readily available train control software to program the signals.

I know how all the wiring has to be set up. I just need the damn parts. At the moment its all very vague.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:24 am

Helix construction has started today. It is mostly built out of 1/2" plywood cut into 4" strips, then angled 15 deg on the ends and held together with glue and 1/2" ply patches. Threaded rod supports the structure which is then held in place with nuts and washers. It will accommodate a 631 mm radius and rises 12 cm each 360 deg. Initially, the rise was to be 8 cm, however; during construction it was found that a slight increase in angle would not affect the operation of the trains and eliminate one full circle. This project has gone so well that the entire thing should be finished tomorrow. My Dad helped me quite a bit. Thanks, Dad!

180 deg sections are laid out and assembled and then slipped over the treaded rods attached to a flat bottom piece.
P1080001.jpg
P1080003.jpg

Rods are offset every 30 deg.
P1080004.jpg
P1080005.jpg

Half way there.
P1080007.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:23 am

That's kick Haggis. What's the grade? I don't feel like mathing my brain right now.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:55 am

ConducTTor wrote:That's kick Haggis. What's the grade? I don't feel like mathing my brain right now.

Roughly a 3% grade.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Ta da! The helix is done. 4.5 turns with a total rise of 23".
P1090001.jpg
P1090002.jpg
P1090005.jpg
P1090006.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:31 pm

:thumbup:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans