Mark's Train Set

Re: Mark's Train Set

Postby CSD » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 am

Carpentry! With the addition of cabinets under the layout there had to be some modifications to the construction of the lower deck. Finally got the helix section surfaced and can move on to connecting the lower level and constructing the base for the roundhouse.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

The cabinet doors on the right of the first picture allow entry to the center of the helix.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:37 am

Are your cabinets topless? As in, do they allow access to the under track wiring, etc.?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 am

Yes. There will be some facia in the space between the layout and lower level that will either have panels or be removable for accesss to the electronics. If one needed to get their whole body in there (for some reason), you can go through the cabinet. The helix section is a bit different in that the wiring will be run in a way to allow access from the hole in the lower surface. Another touch I'm proud of is the control panel, which is located in a drawer. Open to play, slide it away when you're done for the day.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:40 pm

CSD wrote:Another touch I'm proud of is the control panel, which is located in a drawer. Open to play, slide it away when you're done for the day.

Very cool. That's the way it should be!

Sent using Tapatalk
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:09 pm

Game over.

My next move on the train set is to take it apart and start over. The central section of the layout just celebrated it's 17th birthday and it just isn't doing it. I have learned a lot about railway operations and station orientations in the last few years and have decided to go toward something that truly captures that feel. I'm also interested in building a modular layout for RATT and do not have the time to work on two layouts, not to mention the space to store it. So, for now, I want to switch my focus to a small NA switching layout for SW1200's.
DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Looks good, but we understand how a model railroad pike is never really finished. The first HO scale (and first model train layout we built together) pike we build went up nicely, but we became dissatisfied with the end result, so we tore it down with intention to redesign it.

Just keep us posted on how your layout turns out.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:23 pm

I seem to get unhappy with what I design a few times a year.........one of these days though!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rich B » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:13 am

Some of the timber under Stromallee is supporting its forth layout- though only the second running one. The first (the other running layout) was an H0 exercise based Bergen auf Rügen, it then got stripped back for an early attempt at a "system" layout with multiple destinations, then some Fremo modules and finally (?) Stromallee.
Rich B

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans