Mark's Train Set

Re: Mark's Train Set

Postby LVG1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 pm

The way you design the landscape looks absolutely great. :thumbup:

I wish I could move the people in our model railroad club to more care and attention. When they create the landscape, everything looks too uniform by my taste. :(

By the way:
CSD wrote:The turnouts required a little weight to stick them down until the caulking set.

At the model railroad club we use beer bottles for this purpose. So we always have a good excuse for always having a plentiful stock of them... :wink:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby CSD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks for the compliments.

LVG1 wrote:... When they create the landscape, everything looks too uniform by my taste...

I think a good first step to getting past it is to get a copy of Almost Real (Fast Wie Echt) by Markus Tiedtke - featuring Josef Brandl's astounding model railroads. An absolutely beautiful book and a must have for any model railroader.

LVG1 wrote:... At the model railroad club we use beer bottles for this purpose. So we always have a good excuse for always having a plentiful stock of them...

This is a technique I think I will adopt.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 am

CSD wrote:Almost Real (Fast Wie Echt) by Markus Tiedtke

Thanks, just ordered this.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gabbysuz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 am

Looking good Mark :thumbup: Looking forward to future youtube videos !

Josef Brandl's work is fantastic, I have a copy of the Eisenbahn Journal issue in '03 or '04, beautiful layout, I believe
his scenery is the only model scenery that makes the photographic backdrops look good, I'm ususally against photo backdrops
as theres too much detail to them, but his attention to detail matches the photograph !
gabbysuz

Postby LVG1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:09 am

CSD wrote:I think a good first step to getting past it is to get a copy of Almost Real (Fast Wie Echt) by Markus Tiedtke - featuring Josef Brandl's astounding model railroads. An absolutely beautiful book and a must have for any model railroader.

Thank you.
I'm going to look for that.

CSD wrote:
LVG1 wrote:... At the model railroad club we use beer bottles for this purpose. So we always have a good excuse for always having a plentiful stock of them...

This is a technique I think I will adopt.

There are photos of that. I don't know if they are already digital. I'll look for them.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby CSD » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:29 am

I'm having a b-last with ballast!
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:48 am

Always love your work. However, the ballast seems a bit too brown.....there are a few track close to me and I've also looked at 1000s (?) of pictures and the ballast never looks that color. Just food for thought.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby tfc49 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:07 am

The colour of ballast varies enormously: here in the UK it can be white, grey, green-grey, brown or red, depending on the stone used. Doubtless the same variation occurs in other countries. Then of course there is the effect of weathering to be considered; some stone changes colour over time as the surface oxidises, plus discolouration occurs through the addition of contaminants such as brake dust, oil, soot, etc.

So brown ballast is quite plausible.

Best wishes,
tfc49.
tfc49

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:23 am

tfc49 wrote:The colour of ballast varies enormously: here in the UK it can be white, grey, green-grey, brown or red, depending on the stone used. Doubtless the same variation occurs in other countries. Then of course there is the effect of weathering to be considered; some stone changes colour over time as the surface oxidises, plus discolouration occurs through the addition of contaminants such as brake dust, oil, soot, etc.

So brown ballast is quite plausible.

Best wishes,
tfc49.

I hear you. I just haven't seen many (if any) instances where the ballast is brown.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:34 am

It seems to me that brown ballast is commonplace for the station yards, places near the signals, etc. - somewhere in the places where the train is to brake; due to the dust from the brake shoes that becomes rusty.

railway-84e97b.jpg
railway-6cf4ae.jpg
close-up-of-the-railway-tracks-complex-junction-11554e4.jpg
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans