Mark's Train Set

Re: Mark's Train Set

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:29 pm

The M62 is a fantastic model in my pinion. Roco did a good job.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:59 am

It has been a while since any progress has been posted here. As there hasn't been any, nothing has been missed. My recent trip to Europe has prompted me to make some changes to the layout of my station approaches so that they are more prototypical.
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg

To avoid having to see the metal tabs the Tillig switches come with I have started to solder the feeder wires directly to the bottom of the rails. Takes a bit more time to drill holes, but worth it in my opinion.
IMG_0021.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Thu May 17, 2012 11:08 am

Finally got around to rebuilding the approach and started to ballast the tracks. The basement has been renovated; new carpet,paint and moldings. I also installed IKEA cabinets under the layout. The lower level will now only be a few inches deep so that I will actually get this this done during my lifetime. This will also allow me to have space behind it to reach the upper level wiring via the cabinet.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 17, 2012 12:33 pm

God I hope I get to that point some day....
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Don't like to be picky, but the glue and gravel tanks look a bit out of scale.
-Terry
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Well, it has been some time since any progress has been posted. There has been some to the approach to Petranice station.
photo.JPG

The basic land shapes were formed with styrofoam and then coated with Scultamold to make a nice shape. It was then painted with tan paint and then with thinned burnt umber which was wiped with a damp sponge, leaving the darker colour in the crevices. Once dry, "soil" was dusted over matte medium. This was done a second time to catch any missed spots and a sprinkling of ground foam was added to create the base on which the scenery will be built.
photo 3.jpg

The backdrop was also installed during this step. At first I had tried spray adhesive, but found that the backdrop continued to bubble. So, it was ripped off. Wall paper pasted was used for the next application. As I had already painted the walls a sky blue, the "sky" portion of the backdrop was cut away. Carefully running a black sharpee along the white edge before attachment helps to blend it in. The field, pictured below, will have golden grass applied to further blend the scene.
photo 6.jpg

Now I'm experimenting with the Grass Master to create the right textures and colours.
photo 5.JPG

photo 2.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:15 pm

At this point I'm waiting on some additional parts, such as the cobble stone sheet to build the underpass mocked up here. These buildings will not be used either and are just to get an idea of what it will look like.
photo 4.jpg

The painstaking task of ballasting the track is also underway. Lightly air brushing the tracks once the ballast is in place can really improve the look and further blend the scenic elements. I also paint the ties and track sides prior to installing the ballast.
photo 5.JPG

photo 4.JPG
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Looks awesome Mark! What color paint did you use for the sky blue on the walls?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:38 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Looks awesome Mark! What color paint did you use for the sky blue on the walls?

Sky Blue...

Seemed appropriate.

A bit more static grass fiddling.
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby TTTerrific » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:44 am

Mark,

I really like the latest photos you've posted. Not only does the foliage and grass "look" realistic, there is real texture in the scene, something that is often missing in a lot of layouts. I can't wait to see how this TT layout continues to progress. Good job! :thumbup:
TTTerrific

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans